Tuesday, January 26, 2016


TIMOTHY  AND  TITUS


Today we celebrate the feast of two early Christian Saints: Timothy and Titus.

Timothy and Titus: sounds like a law firm.

Their names do not appear in the gospels - but they do appear in the other New Testament readings. The name Timothy appears 24 times in the New Testament. That’s a lot more than most of the Apostles. Titus’ name appears 15 times in the New Testament.

Both met Paul when they were young men. Both travelled with Paul. Check Galatians 2: 1 ff. and hear about Titus.

Check out Acts 16: 1-3 and hear about Timothy. Timothy becomes a close companion to Paul - starting with Paul first meeting him at Lystra.

READINGS

There are some options for today’s readings. I’m using the ones that appear in the Lectionary. I went with the first reading that appears there for today’s feast: 2nd Timothy 1: 1-8.

Timothy was part Jewish - from his mother, Eunice. We even get his grandmother’s name: Lois.  His dad was Greek. They come from up in Galatia.

Titus was a Gentile on both his mom and dad’s side.

The literature implies that Timothy was more fearful and hesitant than Titus.

Using the letter “T” - Timothy was timid; Titus had tact.

Today’s gospel from Luke 10:1-9 mentions traveling 2 by 2. I don’t know if these 2 travelled specifically together. It doesn’t sound like that - but I did spot one connection: Titus replaced Timothy at Corinth. I spotted that in an article on St. Titus by R.G. Boucher in the New Catholic Encyclopedia.

We get glimpses of what these two men were like from the different mentions in the New Testament.

I assume that Paul figured out who they were and what they were like by being with them and depending on them.

Paul used both these men to bring messages to others - as well as organizing and running local Christian communities.  Paul used Titus to enter a hornet’s nest for Paul: Corinth.

I caught a smile from the gospel here in the Lectionary for today, Luke 10:1-9.  Jesus says that he sent out his disciples 2 by 2 and said, “Carry no money bags.” Surprise that’s one of the jobs Paul used both Timothy and Titus to do.

Timothy is reported to have been stoned to death and killed when he was 80 years of age.

Titus also makes it to old age - being made a bishop in Crete. As far as I know, he died a natural death.

There are 2 Letters to Timothy and 1 to Titus in our bible. They are called part of the so called “Pastoral Letters.”  They give us a few tidbits or quick snapshots into a Church that is growing and developing. We notice that folks get some bumps and bruises when personalities rub into each other.

Some people say - when there are difficulties: the issue is always money.

I say it’s always people.

FOR EXAMPLE

I can place, move, put this piece of paper here - then I can pick it up and place it over here. Then I can pick it up quickly and move it right over to here.  

In doing this I don’t have to ask the piece of paper if I can move it.  But if this is a person, I have to think twice. I have to take another’s temperature. I have to figure out from past experiences, how to ask nicely, what this other person likes and what have you.

CONCLUSION

I hope today’s feast encourages all of us to do our best as Christian disciples of Christ.


In case nothing I said has any energy for you as a thought for the day - let me end with this message. In today’s first reading Paul says to Timothy, “Don’t be a coward. Let the spirit in you catch fire again. Blow on the fire. Give it some extra air." Wind, fresh air, is  an image of the Holy Spirit, so Paul is saying, "Catch fire and let your powers  of peace and love and self control roll. Get hot, but keep cool."



No comments: