Saturday, November 7, 2015

November 7, 2015

D N A

A white tissue was tossed towards a trash basket
in the mall. Missed.  It just lay there as I sat there
on a small mall  bench  - some thirty feet away.

I saw a mall cleaner with rubber gloves walking.
Nope he missed it goo - so the tissue stayed there.
Dozens and dozens of people went by it - till I got
up - picked it up - and slam dunked into the basket.

Sat down again and began thinking about so many
NCIS TV programs. That tissue contained someone’s
DNA - someone’s nose run - someone’s something.

Began wondering where my DNA might still be
clinging. I looked up on internet the question,
“How long does DNA last?” I got two answers:
521 years and if the conditions are right, 6.8
million years. Now that’s a long, long time.

This got me wondering - especially about my parents.
Is my DNA still on their foreheads where I kissed
them or on their hands which I touched before
the casket lid was closed and oops, obviously,
I’m walking around with their DNA all the time.



© Andy Costello, Reflections 2015

No comments: