Monday, September 28, 2015

September 28, 2015

WHO’S THE GREATEST?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 26 Monday in Ordinary Time is, “Who’s The Greatest?”

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Wow! Wasn't the pope the greatest on his trip to us. Wow did he make Catholics proud of being Catholics.

Before Pope Francis headed home to Rome, he handed out 6 copies of the gospel of Luke - which he signed - to 6 families at the Celebration of Families in Philadelphia. They also are sending thousands of copies of the Gospel of Luke to the countries where the 6 families are from - or was it just Syria?

Just one gospel. Luke.

I like the idea. We used to do that for weekend retreats. We could get small inexpensive pocket size paperback copies of the different gospels from the American Bible Society. We’d cover different stories or parables and ask the retreatants to use that gospel for meditation till they came back for their weekend retreat the following year. It worked and it was well received.

The Pope is connecting the Gospel of Luke - which is also called the Gospel of Mercy - to this upcoming year of mercy, forgiveness, and reconciliation. It will also be Year C in our Lectionary - the year of Luke.

So here we are on weekdays - going through the Gospel of Luke as well.

And in today’s gospel, Luke 9: 46-50 -  Jesus is asking us to look at the issue of wanting to be great  - even the desire to be the greatest. We all have that desire - that instinct. All of us - more or less want to look better - feel better - than other persons.

It’s in us.

When that feeling hits us, sometimes we feel dirty - “oh-no-ish.” Paradoxically in that very feeling of not wanting to be proud - up front - holier than thou - we are being just what we want to avoid.

Jesus in the gospel of Luke talks about these feelings - Pharisaical - at their worst. Jesus rubs the parable of two people who are praying in the temple in our face. The one up front says, “Thank God I’m not like these sinners here - especially that guy in the back”. Then he brags about all he does to show he’s better than others. And the guy in the back of the temple says, “Be merciful to me because I’m a sinner.”

I always think that the first step in humility is humor.

And this stuff often shows up in religious feelings.

So Church goers need to know and laugh at themselves.

So here in today’s gospel Jesus  is telling his disciples about greatness. It’s serving. Then he takes a child and puts him right next to him and says, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”

Kids don’t have titles - labels - degrees - medals - stripes - robes - top hats - uniforms to prove they are on top.

SO WE SAW THE POPE

So we saw the pope in his little Fiat sandwiched on both sides - and back and front - by big SUV’s with flashing lights.

So we saw the pope embracing little children and little old ladies.

So we saw the pope embracing prisoners and down syndrome folks.

So we saw all these bishops with fancy prestige vestments and pointed hats.

You gotta have a sense of humor. I’ve seen articles with pictures of bishops hats - one taller than the other. I was looking at the bishops in the processions last night and Pope Francis’ hat - miter - was smaller than some of these other guys with their miters. The pope talked to bishops about all this in private meetings. It’s the stuff of humor and jealousy amongst us priests.



Unfortunately we saw that picture in Catholic magazines last year of a Cardinal in Rome with a big red cape trailing behind him for 10 yards - bigger than any bridal gown - with her long white veil.

This stuff - called jealousy - wanting to be bigger and better than others - prestige  - pride - shows up in church - politics - picnics - groups - clubs - volunteer groups - work - what have you.

People want better seats, different seats, higher seats - whatever is bigger and better than our seat to show that they are better than us.  

We use age, cars, home, cars, brands, clothes, jewelry, toes, toe nail polish, skin color, shape, weight, height, size, the look, to look better than the other.

You have to laugh.

PEOPLE GET MAD AT ME

People get mad at me when I hit this “greatness” button. I make comments that are digs - and the hidden agenda is that I’m better than those I’m making fun of. I do that. Jesus didn’t.

For example, when I saw all those bishops - all males - up front at the pope thing - the comedian in me - likes to say, “I’d like to see God be a woman for the next 2000 years - along with the bishops and priests - and see how the men react to that. 

I would then watch the same thing happen with women that happens with male priests.

I heard of a woman who wants to be a priest - and her reason,  “I want to be served as priests are served - have someone pick up after me.”

Smile.

We all are included in Jesus’ watching us and trying to get us to laugh at ourselves.

We are all included in Jesus watching us and wanting us to serve the little children and the older folks - especially those in their second childhood as the pope pointed out by example more than words.

CONCLUSION



I love that picture of Francis - Jorge - on a subway in Buenos Aires in Argentina by himself - carrying his bag - wearing his black suit - travelling with ordinary folks..

Some of us priests - I know I do -  make fun in our minds and sometimes with our tongues of priests and all these seminarians who are into French cuffs and clerical garb.

I know that’s the deeper sin - inner mocking - inner judgment - inner criticism - and all that stuff -  that I’m better - we’re better than them.

So Jesus laughs at me too.


Thank God there is always mercy - and thank God the call is always there to forget the nonsense and serve one another. Amen.

No comments: