Monday, September 28, 2015

September 28, 2015

FUNERAL LIMO DRIVER
  
Being a priest - opens up many doors -
like being in a hearse with a limo driver -
and a casket and a dead body at a
funeral - and then coming back without
the casket and the body. Definitely
different feelings to and from the cemetery ….

The driver - hey nobody notices him at a
funeral.  Lucky me I’ve heard them tell
about lots things most would never know -
little and big stuff buried inside another.

One guy said he grew up in the southwest
corner of Virginia  and there were these
mountains. He asked himself a hundred times,
“What’s on the other side of those mountains?”
He said he found out and never came back.
Then he added, “Thank God - otherwise
I would never have met my wife.”

And there was this driver who told me on
the way back from the cemetery, “You know
why they asked you to do the funeral?”
I said, “Well - no?” And he said, “Well it was
because he was a son of a b and his wife
knew you didn’t know him and everybody
else did and you’d say nice things about him.”


© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2015

No comments: