Sunday, August 23, 2015


SUBMISSION

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time [B] is, “Submission.”

The topic was triggered especially by today’s second reading from the Letter to the Ephesians. It has the “hot button word,” “subordinate” - as in, “Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord.”

Some people hear that and don’t go any further.

Evidently the text has been used in arguments about who’s right, who’s wrong, who has to do what, sexuality, control, power in marriage - and in a family.

The original text comes down to us from the Greek. Obviously, we hear in English Language Masses the English translation.

I would translate the Greek verb, “HUPEIKO” with the English word, “submit” - but our translators chose “subordinate”.

I’ll submit to that. I’m subordinate to the Church authorities - above me.

With a semi-smile on my face, I would think “subordinate” is softer than “submit”  - so I wonder if the translators chose “subordinate” - to be a bit more PC correct - which is another “hot button phrase” - so as not to be trumped or jumped on for being insensitive to women.

In spite of that, I would think people would understand the meaning of the word “submit” more than they would “subordinate”.

EPHESIANS 5:21-32

So for some, today’s second reading is a “hot button Bible text.” They sense  it’s telling wives that they are not equal partners in a marriage. “Be  subordinate to your husband” - then it adds “as to the Lord.” God is God. Our husband is certainly not God.

It’s a real topic to think about - because when talking to couples - I often hear men say that the two most important words in marriage are, “Yes dear!” I would think the more important two words would be, “Let’s talk!” - “Let’s listen.” - and  “Love you!” and “Wow - thanks!”

I know of a woman - in another state - who calls the rectory when this text is coming up. Her question to a priest is, “Are you going to read that text this Sunday?”

Probably not that clear what’s this all about,  he might say, “Well, we’ll use the cut down version.”

Or we might have a stale mate.  Smile.

It’s my sense that this battle is on the other side of the glass ceiling and people have come to terms with the issues involved in their own way. I also sense we’ll get to where we’re going to get in time - women’s ordination, etc. etc. etc. I would always hope our church will say these 2 word sentences, “Let’s talk.” “Let’s listen.”

[We congratulate first time servers here at St. Mary’s - so I did that to a young girl server one Sunday and added to be cute, “Maybe someday you’ll be pope.” In another situation I might say to a young girl, “Someday you might be president”. Well I got a phone call complaining about I’m for women’s ordination. I assume that will come - long after I’m dead - but I’m not going to say that from the pulpit - otherwise that’s all some people will hear and it will kill my homily further.]

BRUCE MALINA - CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY

Years ago I attended a one week seminar on scripture and one of the speakers was Bruce Malina of Creighton University.

The issue of woman’s place, rights, respect, recognition in the church came up. 

Looking back, thinking back,  I believe Bruce Malina said something like this:  My field is the first century Mediterranean basin.  Woman’s place was in the back room and in the kitchen. Men’s place was outside - smoking and talking - with their tools leaning against the side of their homes.

Next he said you can want different, but this is the way it was in the world of the First Century New Testament.

Then he showed us an old documentary - a black and white movie - of a small out of the way Greek island from around the early 1930’s. Sure enough the men were out front - and the women were in the back rooms and in the kitchen.

If you want to read a good book on all this from a culture different than here in Annapolis read The Bookseller of  Kabul. It was written by the Norwegian journalist Asne Seiersgtad. She got imbedded into the home of bookseller in Kabul, Afghanistan - and her book helped me understand a lot more about a woman’s place in other cultures.

SUBMISSION

The title of my homily is, “Submission.”

Now that’s a topic worth thinking about - worth reflecting upon.

Submission.

That’s a skill we all need.

One of our biggest problems in life is our inability to submit.

I know I was always last minute in finishing and submitting a term paper.

I am still the same in finishing homilies - like this one that I submit to you today.

Submission - if you come to Mass you have to submit to the person in the pulpit and the altar that you get. If you don’t want to, you can read the bulletin or your own inner tapes.

Submission - how good are you with that one?

I know some people can’t submit to traffic jams.

I know some people can’t submit to wrinkles and aging.

I know some people can’t submit to life.  It happens.

How about cancer, death, rejection?

How about reality?  The ice cream cone - even two scoops of butter almond - melts and drips - and disappears into our bodies as we eat it - or onto our t-shirt or the sidewalk.

Everything comes to an end. Kids go off to college.

Summer ends. School starts again.

The clock keeps ticking. Morning arrives and we got to get up to go to work.

Horror happens - divorces happen - people cut us off in getting out of the church parking lot - people cut us off in the middle of the story we’re telling. People yawn.  Some people are not polite and tell us, “You’ve told that joke ten times now. Hello!”

Submission.

Of course, sometimes we have to resist - protest -  yell - change - make moves - talk to each other. “Do you know a good lawyer?”

So there are some things we should not submit to: abuse, violence, craziness.

Some people vent inwardly or outwardly behind the other person’s back.

Some people call the police.

Some people write to the newspaper or the bishop or the pastor.

TODAY’S OTHER TWO READINGS

Maybe I should have concentrated on today’s other two readings.

I picture Joshua’s in today’s reading - nearing his end - old age happens - and folks are dropping out - or giving up their religious heritage and faith - - bummer - and all he can say is, “Well, as to me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

I picture Jesus in today’s gospel - standing there and seeing all these people walking away - telling him they can’t accept what he’s saying.

We who have seen family members dropping out of our faith - know the feeling.  And the numbers are increasing.

Jesus  submitted to all  that - but says to Peter, “Do you also want to leave?”

Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.”

CONCLUSION

The topic of submission calls for deep consideration.

The choice is ours.

This issue of submission or subordination calls for communication - talking and listening. Husbands and wives submit to talking to each other.

Ooops in case nobody got what I was talking about - let me tell you what might have also triggered this topic for me.

On Friday evening we had a wedding rehearsal for a wedding for Saturday afternoon. A little boy was to be the ring boy for the wedding. On Friday night he sees this big aisle and breaks free of this little girl, older and taller than he. He runs full speed ahead to the front here, turns right and then shoots down the side aisle, across the back, and down the aisle again. His mother can’t catch him - and they kid looks like he’s only been doing 3 months of walking.

Then he spots the steps up front here and he goes right at them - crawling up the 3 steps - conquering them - and his mom and dad catch him at that and he goes back up there a few times.

It was a great scene. I loved it.  Of course his parents were scared he might have done it yesterday in his tux.  He didn’t. He was perfect.

But that kid needs to learn all about submission and subordination and his parents need to learn how to do that.

If you get that, you got my sermon. Amen.


oooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Painting on top: American Gothic, Grant Wood, 1930





No comments: