Monday, August 24, 2015

August 24, 2015



WORST SERMON EVER HEARD

After Mass, he stood there in the back of church
as I was saying “Good bye! Have a great week!”
and shaking hands to all those on their way out.
Finally, it was just the two of us. He said, “Can I
tell you something?” “Sure,” I said. So he said,
“That was the worst sermon I ever heard.”
Of course that would catch me off guard.
Of course I said “Sorry.” Then I thought inwardly,
“Bring back all those people who just went by
and said, “Nice sermon, Father. Thanks for your
words.” I also thought of the old saying, “You can
get 20 compliments and 1 complaint. Guess what you’re going to remember?”  What he wanted, he said, was to have the preacher challenge us - get us angry - and then to go out and make a difference. I said, “That’s not me! 
I like to be liked. I don’t want people to spot me but to spot themselves - look into themselves - and see where they are being called.” It didn’t make any difference. I wasn’t his cup of tea. 
Like the people in the gospel we had for yesterday, he walked away. Like Jesus 
I needed to tell someone about what happened to me. This morning I woke up still thinking 
about the moment - so I assume his comments were  wrestling inside me all night - and I said
to myself, “Wait a minute. Contradiction guy!
My sermon did stir you up - enough for you to
come up to me with some angry words. I guess
I did challenge you. I got you to talk to me.”


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2015

Picture on top: Here I am falling
on my butt - while skating on
our pond in our Minor Seminary,
St. Mary's North East, Pa, in the
early 1950;s

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Father Andy, my wife and I thought your homily on "Submission" at Sunday mass was excellent. Not good, not nice, simply fantastic. You made the point of saying that when couples are having a problem, perhaps their first words, not in anger, should be "Let's talk." What this requires, and is difficult, (perhaps this holds true for your critic) is that both parties are willing to "listen" with an open heart. Show vulnerability, show respect, being willing to hear something different and make a change in your life. The Swiss psychiatrist, Carl G. Jung once said, "All the true things must change and only that which changes remains true." Sometimes people have a difficult time with change because they are comfortable or familiar with what they were taught, how they were raised, or even their own behavior. I read that some Catholics are having a hard time with the changes in the Church and the refreshing and spiritual messages from Pope Francis about forgiveness and not judging others. Personally, I believe he is lock-step with the age old question, "What would Jesus do?" I am glad these questions are being asked and you are causing people to think differently with your homily on submission. We all are expected to submit to Christ, why not practice by submitting to our spouses.