Saturday, August 29, 2015

August 29, 2015


PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Please, pretty please,
I want some ice cream -
and when with ease
you walk me into the store,
you let me choose my favorite:
two scoops of rum raisin.
You reach into your pocket,
take out your wallet and
pay for this wonderful treat! 

It’s then I say, “Thank you!”
By the way, in sum and substance,
I think that’s the story of my life.
I want it to be smooth as possible -
as smooth as rum raisin ice cream.
Please! Please! Please!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!


© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2015

Oooooops, thank you Thornton Wilder.
After writing this today I remembered
his famous comment, "My advice to you
is not to enquire why or whither, but just
enjoy your ice cream while it's on your
plate - that's my advice." from The Skin of
Our Teeth [1942],  Act 1,

No comments: