Monday, June 1, 2015

June 1st, 2015

DISCOVERY  CHANNEL  

I discovered God in bread and wine, 
ice cream bought for me and bacon 
and eggs brought to me for breakfast. 
Light and darkness - especially if there 
are stars stuck in the middle of that dark. 

I discovered God in mistakes and failures,
especially sin - better when I heard God
say I understand - but “Don’t be dumb!”,
“Don’t hurt others!”, “Don’t hurt yourself!”
And please, try, try --  try again and again.

I discovered God in mornings - after a
good sleep - seeing parents with kids while
going by swings at the park or teaching
their kids how to ride a bike or hit a
ball or catch a football or shoot a basket.

I’ve discovered God at weddings, boring
Church services, funerals filled with hurt
and tears, seeing silent - but powerful
sunsets - and the sky is filled with red,
orange and spray painted clouds in the West.

I’ve discovered God when I wasn’t looking
for God - at work,  in songs, on back roads,
traffic jams, in conversations with strangers,
sitting next to them on planes - and at times when I pray, but not always. Then there's the 
experience of love in relationships, family, friendships and God in the mix of it all.

And sometimes God says, “Turn the channel”
and I’ll meet you there - maybe, sometimes.”



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2015

No comments: