Tuesday, April 28, 2015

IF ASKED, WOULD I TEND TO SAY,
“I AM A CATHOLIC” OR WOULD I SAY, “I AM A CHRISTIAN?”

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “If Asked, Would I Tend To Say, ‘I Am a Catholic’ or Would I Say, ‘I Am A Christian’”?

A QUESTION BEFORE MY MAIN QUESTION

Before answering that question, here’s a primary question: If asked to describe oneself in 10 statements, would I put on my list. “I am a Catholic,” or “I am a Christian?”  Or would I list other characteristics?

On various high school, college or post college retreats, people are often asked to describe themselves in ten “I Am” statements. I have even seen 20 or 25 I Am questions to describe oneself.

For  example someone might answer:
·       “I am a husband,”
·       “I am a wife.”
·       “I am a father.”
·       “I am a mother.”
·       “I’m an Annapolitan.”
·       “I am a waitress.”
·       “I am an owner of a restaurant.”
·       “I am an engineer.”
·       “I’m a baseball fan.”
·       “I’m lonely.”
·       “I’m shy.”
·       “I am introvert.”
·       “I’m organized.”
·       “I tend to be last minute.”
·       “I’m a procrastinator.”
·       “I’m a reader.”
·       “I’m a person of faith.”
·       “I am frugal when it comes to money.”
·       “I’m considerate?”

And on and on and on.

So my question again, “, “If Asked, Would I Tend To Say, ‘I Am a Catholic’ or Would I Say, ‘I Am A Christian’”?

IT ALL DEPENDS

I would suspect most people would first say, “It all depends.”

It all depends if I would put “I am a Christian” or “I am a Catholic” or all three  on my top 25, “I am” list.

Then it also depends of what one understands by the word “Christian” and the word, “Catholic.”

They both have similar and various meanings.

Some would use the word an adjective - meaning a Christian is someone who is kind and merciful - generous and loving - aware and caring towards  others. One goes he extra mile. One who turns the other cheek. One who is a Good Samaritan. One who visits the sick. Clothes the naked. Visits those in prison.

Then there are people like  C.S. Lewis who would say it’s a noun. If you’re baptized, you’re a Christian. Then add adjectives.  I am a lazy Christian. I am committed Christian. I am a  Christian sometimes.

By Catholic some would think a person who is all of the above as a Christian, but they  see themselves in a parish and they follow the teachings of that church.

Some would say. “I am a Catholic Christian” - different than a Lutheran.

Some would say I fit the description in today’s first reading. “It was in Antioch they were first called Christians.”

CONCLUSION

If I have it right, people don’t have those little cards for one’s wallet anymore. Remember them. They said, “I am a Catholic, in case of an accident please call a priest.”  Or “I am a very important Catholic, please call a bishop or the pope."

No comments: