Wednesday, April 8, 2015

April 8, 2015


BASIS

Can I ever get to the basis of another’s motive? 
Can I ever know why someone did what
they did and the basis of why I responded 
the way I responded to their behavior?

Can I ever get to the innermost center of another's
burning center - called "Cause' - whoever it is – 
even God whether it's called “Motive" or 
"what makes me tick".  If I say, “Yes! I know another's motive. Yes,I know why they are doing what they are doing.  It's then 
I'm playing God. Do I want to go there?"

But if I know, if I say, "No. I really don’t know" –

then there’s a basis of hope for me. In reality,
if I realize I'm only on 
the surface of motive,

then I can become humble. I can begin to realize 
I’m Adam – a scratch of clay. I’m Eve – a rib from Adam - from just  below his  surface. I'm just
at the edge of the edge of reality.

It takes time to realize we're all so far from the  center of the basis of it all – our God from whom we come - better we are moving towards

being on the edge of the edge of the edge
of the edge of the edge of the edge of God. 

So it takes a lifetime to get to the doors 

of our underworld. Then as Jesus told us: 
ask, seek, knock. So and we knock, we open, 
we ask, we seek, we start to discover
glimpses of the inside of the circle  - 
we stand there at the edge of basis of me - 
whether my basic motive is greed or grief 
or love or fear, or I didn't get the attention 
I needed or I was hurt or blinded  when I was younger and I didn't grow or know 
I'm a gift from God - or whatever.

Oh, I'm only guessing at all this - and one more guess: 
guess I'll need eternity 
to find out the basis of me - others, God.



© Andy Costello, Reflections 2115

No comments: