Wednesday, April 8, 2015

April 7, 2015

CONVICTED

As I shook his hand I knew
he wouldn’t shake his conviction.
He wouldn’t change his mind.
He was he and I was I -
and I wasn’t going to
change my mind either.
I knew that. He knew that.
I knew he wouldn’t come back
to another meeting like this.

As he walked away
I thought of other people
who have passed out
of my life like this.
Is it the way I say things?
Is it my convictions and
my inability to change?
He made me feel
like a kid selling lemonade
on the street - and it was
a cold day – and nobody
wanted what I was selling.
Everyone was walking by.

Being human can be rough tough stuff.
Being a Christian means ridicule.
rejection, and the way of the cross.
Being a priest – most think priests

don’t get what those who aren’t priests
are going through. Some do; some don’t.
Then up go walls – with locked doors
built of fear and assumptions – with
everyone forgetting Christ goes through walls.



© Andy Costello, Reflections 2015

No comments: