Monday, June 16, 2014

I  WANT  WHAT  I  WANT, 
WHEN  I  WANT  IT! 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 11 Monday in Ordinary Time  is, “I Want What I Want,  When I Want It!”

Is that me?

That’s one of life’s most important realities.

That’s the thought – and the question - that hit me when I read today’s two readings.

I want what I want, when I want it.

FIRST READING

In today’s first reading from 1st Kings 21: 1-16, we hear the story how King Ahab of Samaria, wanted a vineyard that belonged to someone else.

It was right next to Ahab’s house – and he thought it would be a great spot for a vegetable garden.

The owner of the vineyard – a man named Naboth – said to the king, “No!”

Ahab offered Naboth a better vineyard – or money if he preferred.

The answer was still, “No!”

Naboth said his vineyard  was part of his ancestral heritage.

Ahab became angry - very angry.

Next came depression.  He hid himself under the blankets in his bed.

Anger and Depression often are bedfellows.

Ahab’s wife, the infamous Jezebel,  then cut him down further – saying, “A fine ruler over Israel you are.” 

Can’t you picture her saying that as she stood  over him in his king sized bed?

Then to add insult to insult – she said, “I’ll take care of this one.”

She then basically planned Naboth’s death – by stones – coming up with some false accusations against him.

Today’s first reading ends with Ahab out of bed and headed down the road to take over the property.

TODAY’S GOSPEL

In today’s gospel – a continuation of the Sermon on the Mount – Matthew 5: 38-42 -  we run into this same issue of confrontation: what to do when someone wants something when they want something?

Jesus tries a different approach – telling us to say, “Yes!” – and not, “No!”

In fact, Jesus says take the slap on the left cheek  - after we get slapped on the right cheek. Walk the mile the other wants us to walk and then top the person by going the extra mile. When someone wants our tunic, give him our cloak as well. If someone wants to borrow something from us, give it to them.

Then, watch what happens - in the long run - to our heart and mind – when we try this approach.

CONCLUSION: TITLE OF MY HOMILY ONCE AGAIN

The title of my homily is, “I Want What I Want, When I Want It.”

Does this apply to parenting: when the kid sees a toy, or a game or McDonald’s – and wants what she or he wants when they want it?

What’s it like to be in a full parking lot – and we’re driving around looking for a spot? Surprise! We see someone’s car back lights go on. Looks like they are about to back out. We stop and wait for that driver to pull out – but they pull out their cell phone first and start talking. We’re waiting – and waiting – and waiting – and waiting-  and then they finally back out  towards us – sort of blocking us. Suddenly someone else shoots into that spot ahead of us.

What’s it like to be at a restaurant – and we see the maître d’ giving  a table to a party who just came in – without reservations. It looks like they know each other. And we’ve  been there waiting forever?

Is life lots of not getting what we want?

Is getting our skills in this area a key to serenity?

Is this what kids are for – along with traffic and picking the slowest check-out counter every time in the supermarket - to teach us – we can’t run the universe?

We can't always get what we want - especially when we want it.

Did God learn this one, a long time, starting from that evening – when God asked in his mind about Adam and Eve, “Where are they? Are they hiding? Did they do what I told them not to?” Does God then say, “I guess I’m not going to get what I want when it comes to these two?”



Note:



Painting on top: 

Woman Crying 
by Pablo Picasso



No comments: