Sunday, June 15, 2014

AS  A  FATHER



INTRODUCTION

The title of my words for today is, “As A Father”.

Instead of a homily for today - Father's Day - it hit me yesterday -  to present a list of  hopes and prayers - for what I would hope and pray - a Christian Father would see – hope for – pray for – be - and do.

Today is also the feast of the Most Holy Trinity – and I would state – that how we see God, how we experience God – stems very much  - from how we see and experience our father who art on earth – our dad. That is scary. That is profound. That is quite a responsibility and honor - for any father and mother – grandfather and grandmother – teacher or guardian. We learn from the visible before we grasp the invisibles. We go from the known to the unknown. We experience our parents – family – others – the other kids in the playground and school and park – and parties -  before we experience our God – who we Christians believe -  is a Trinity – 3 persons – who are 1 – because of their deepest love and union with each other.

If we grow up with rigid rules – stone commandments – severe condemnations – and punishments -  perhaps that’s how we’ll see God and how we’ll do life. If that was our experience, perhaps too, we won’t get the new commandments of love – coming from Jesus – who told us he was telling us what he was getting from his Father – our God – who as we heard in today’s gospel – is a God who so loved the world that he gave his only son – so that everyone who believes in God might not perish but might have eternal life.

So I would urge all the fathers here to make a list of what their hopes and prayers are for – for their children and all the children of our world.

Being someone called “father”,  I thought I can do this too. In fact,  I better do this first – to make a list – to do that homework - in hopes that the fathers here – would follow my example. Hopefully that would make today - Father’s Day – not just a day to hear “Thank you!” as a father  – but that it might be a day of renewal for all fathers as well.

A WISH LIST

So here’s my list:

As a father, I hope and pray - there will be no father – who will not hear from someone one today, “Happy Father’s Day!”

As a father, I hope and pray – for more – much more than that - that all fathers get new bow ties, conversation starters at that,  brunch, lunch, cards, phone calls if they are at a distance – and they hear in their children’s voices – the wonderful tones that can be heard in a rich, “Thank you, dad.”

As a father, I hope and pray all fathers today renew their role as fathers – concern and care for the next generation.

As a father,  I hope and pray a prayer of thanksgiving for all fathers this day – especially my own dad – and that you do the same. If you’re  sitting here, you have a dad. I love to quote Groucho Marx in this context – when he said, “If your parents didn’t have any kids, chances are you won’t too.” My dad was quite a guy – and a quiet guy. He died – Friday - June 26, 1970 – emphysema – a week after Father’s Day. Thank you God, for letting me and all our family  be there in Moses Maimonides Hospital,  Brooklyn, New York that afternoon at 2 PM. Thank you for letting me  spot a couple in the lobby – leaving the hospital at the same time as us – with their new born baby

As a father, I hope and pray that all of you have neat photographs of  your dad – in a prominent place in your home – as well as pictures of you with your dad. I cherish several black and white photographs.  There I am a tiny little two year old in my dad’s arms – Bliss Park – Brooklyn, N. Y. I smile that they were still taking pictures even though I was the fourth and last kid.

As a father, I hope and pray – all of us grab some time today – to pinch ourselves – to marvel at all the circumstances, events, zillions and zillions and zillions of them – like dominos falling – that had to happen to make us happen – our father being most significant – the moment we were conceived in our mother’s womb. I often think of Carl Sagan’s comment in this regard: “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”  So too each of us.

As a father, I hope and pray Christian fathers will see and will be what the Trinity is: relationships. It’s all about relationships – connections – we’re made in the image and likeness of God. It’s not good to be or go it alone. We are because of our parents. We are fathers because of others – spouses, children, those we care and serve.

As a father, I hope and pray we do some deep thinking today about our own fathers – part of the duo who brought us forth – if there is any need for deeper conversations, comment, talk and listening – if they are alive – do it. If they are dead – let them know our thoughts and feelings in prayer today. If possible, tape and write down history. Watch an older person’s face light up, when we give them undivided attention – and ask, “What was it like when…?”

As a father, I hope and pray we care with mothers and others - for the earth –  our home for generations to come.

As a father, I hope and prayer these girls in Africa are found – and returned home safe and sound.

As a father, I hope and pray that churches and schools, groups and organization, get it together for more watchdog vigilance and concern to stop abuse of children and minors.

As a father, I hope and pray  - that - if there is any need for forgiveness – unless bringing up the past  causes eruptions and family earthquakes – that forgiveness be given and forgiveness be received. Many weekends – when I have a wedding – I see families where there was a divorce – handle the rehearsal and the wedding – with care and concern for each other – especially the couple getting married. Mistakes – disasters – crashes and clashes happen. Sometimes, “I forgive you!” is a thousand times more important than “I love you.”

CONLUSION

Hope everyone – especially dads – have a Happy Father’s Day.


Note:
Picture on top 
taken in Helsinki, Finland





No comments: