Friday, June 20, 2014


A  POEM  OR  TWO 

This year on this blog – I’ve been planting a poem each day.

I’ve made it to June 20th and plan to make it to December 31st.

The last few years I came up with a “Quote for the Day”. I’ve learned a “Poem for the Day” – is much more difficult.

Maybe next year, 2015, I’ll put a poem of my own for the day. 

We’ll see.

In the meanwhile, what’s your take on poetry?

I have fond memories of seeing my dad sitting there in the front room of our house on 62nd Street in Brooklyn – with a copy of the book: Best Loved Poems of the English Language. It was a title like that. It was part of a whole series of books with light brown covers and gold lettering on green on the label side.

One day – as a little boy - I had an “Eureka” moment.  I opened up that book of poems on my own and inside  I spotted a dried up dark red rose petal. Surprise!  I had never seen anything like that before.

My dad was in his regular chair – near the window – near the sunlight. I walked over to him with the open book – with the rose petal on it – as if I had a dinner plate with food on it. I asked my dad, “Daddy, what’s this?” He put down the paper and looked at the book, the rose petal, and me.

He paused. Silence. Quiet. Then with his rich smile he said just one word, “Memories.”

I’ve often wished I knew what poem that rose petal was on. 

I’ve oven wished I had asked him, “Memories of what?” 

What’s your favorite poem? What’s your favorite song? What are your favorite memories?

Check out Billy Collins words about “Everyday Moments Caught in Time" on the YouTube at the top of this blog piece.

Have you ever written a poem or two or three? Why not now? Why not catch your memories in words – poetic words – to be remembered. Amen. 


No comments: