Monday, May 5, 2014




“RABBI, WHEN 
DID YOU  GET  HERE?” 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 3rd Monday after Easter is a question from today’s gospel, “Rabbi, When Did You Get Here?”

It’s from the 6th chapter of the Gospel of John – when Jesus mysteriously appears on the other side of the lake of Tiberias. The crowds saw the disciples leave in one boat – and Jesus was not in it – so how and when did Jesus get to where he was?

THE REAL PRESENCE

The title of my homily is that question from today’s gospel, “Rabbi, When Did You Get Here?”

I love the question – because it can get us in touch with the presence of Jesus in so many ways – in so many realities of life.

It can get us to hear Jesus' mantra - his last words in the Gospel of Mathew: "I am with you always, until the end of the world." [Matthew 28:20b]

In yesterday’s gospel – we heard the story about the two disciples on their way to Emmaus – Luke 24: 13-35. We heard about  how they experienced Jesus’ presence in the Stranger as well as the breaking of the bread – as well as the scriptures.

We Catholics make it a big thing – this belief we have in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the bread.

Here in this parish – lots of folks sit in prayer – in the Eucharistic Chapel. Their real presence  is a statement in their belief in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.

That’s quite a belief – that Jesus Christ – someone who lived some 2000 years ago – is present in this thin piece of bread.

Proof: none.

Proof: read the 6th chapter of John in the Eucharistic Chapel. Or go into any church – or with any Bible anywhere – and ponder and pray – that chapter along with the other Eucharistic texts in the Sacred Scriptures.

REPEATING THE QUESTION

Once more let me repeat the title of my homily. It’s the question from today’s gospel, “Rabbi, When Did You Get Here?”

I can picture someone sitting in prayer and having a faith moment – having a Eureka moment – an Epiphany -  as they realize with faith the Real Presence of Jesus in the Bread – in the Blessed Sacrament. I can grasp them saying to Jesus, “O my God you’ve been here all my life this way for all these years and I didn’t realize your presence till now.”

From that experience, I can then picture someone also realizing Jesus’ Real Presence in the sick, the hurting, the person in prison, the person in the nursing home, the lonely – and hearing Jesus say, “I was sick and you visited me. I was in prison and you visited me. I was naked and you clothed me.” [Confer Matthew 25: 31-46]

From those experiences I can then picture someone sensing Jesus’ presence when driving, when shopping, when suffering, when on the cross, when helping people carry a cross – or crossing the street - in every parish community.[Cf. 1 Corinthians 12:12-31]

I can then picture someone who realizes Jesus presence in everyone and in the everyday – begin to be move into sensing Jesus’ presence in all of life – in creation - in the universe. Jesus is Lord of all.

So I can sense them getting a glimpse of what Paul experienced about Christ  - as found in what is probably an early Christian hymn – Colossians 1: 15-20:
He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him were created all things
in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions
or principalities or powers;
all things were created through him
and for him.
He is before all things,
and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body,
the church.
He is the beginning, the firstborn of the dead,
that in all things he himself might be preeminent.
For in him all the fullness was pleased to dwell,
and through him to reconcile all things for him,
making peace by the blood of his cross
[through him], whether those on earth
or those in heaven.”

CONCLUSION

These kinds of faith experiences and development take time and life to happen.

It’s then someone will  no longer say, "Rabbi when did you get here” in my life? Instead, they will say,  “Oh my God you have always been here and I really wasn’t present to you – on either shore of the lake of my life. Amen.”

No comments: