Friday, May 9, 2014

THE CALL TO BE 
A PROPHET

Poem for Today -May 9, 2014


THE POET’S VOICE

I don’t want freedom gram by gram, grain by grain.
I have to break this steel chain with my teeth!
I don’t want freedom as a drug, as a medicine.
I want it as the sun, as the earth, as the heavens!
Step, step aside, you invader!
I am the loud voice of this land!
I don’t need a puny spring,
I am a thirsting ocean!

© Khalil Reza Uluturk


Translated from the Azeri by
Aynur H. Imecer
“Author’s Note: This poem
Has also been published with
The title, “The Voice of Africa.”
During the Soviet period, many
Azeri poets used other
Geographical locaions in their
Poems to disguise their feelings
About their own coutry and their
Own situation so that the Soviet
Censors would not suspect
The true meaning and ban their
works.”



No comments: