Thursday, July 18, 2013


IMPRESSIONISTIC PAINTING

Sitting here all alone - gazing down at two 
tall, thin, glazed glasses, with light pink
and blue straws – each straw slanting
the other way - away from me ….
Did I do something wrong?
Summer coolers … just sitting there -
one on a paper napkin with lipstick on it ….
I’m watching ice cubes melting ….
I’m seeing  thin streams of water crawling
down the outsides of the glasses ….
Strawberry – lime – orange –
cool summer drinks - just sitting there
on a bright white table cloth - covering
a heavy black metal clumsy, clunky table …
the kind that makes hard to move sounds …
grunts - when pulled along heavily
on the concrete ground. I’m  watching
the whole scene as if -  as if it was being
painted  - and this whole scene was a canvas - 
and I’m in the painting  - sitting here all alone
in the upper wrong side corner - all by myself?
Did I do something wrong?
My eyes followed a rich green grass lawn
that  lead down to the dock. Oh ….
I didn’t tell you. That’s where everyone was -
down there by the sail boat that just arrived -
carrying the newly wed couple back home
to see some of the family - some of the
old friends back here - back home -  those
who couldn’t make the wedding. It was
the scene - the painting I always pictured
would be mine with her. But, he isn’t me.
Did I do something wrong?


© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2013

No comments: