Thursday, July 18, 2013


CONVICTED

As I shook his hand I knew
he wouldn’t shake his conviction.
He wouldn’t change his mind.
He was he and I was I -
and I wasn’t going to
change my mind.
I knew that. He knew that.
I knew he wouldn’t come back
to another meeting like this.
And as he walked away
I thought of other people
who have passed out
of my life like this.
Is it the way I say things?
Is it my convictions and
my inability to change?
He made me feel
like a kid selling lemonade
on the street - and it was
a cold day - anyway - and
everyone was walking by.
Being a priest can be tough stuff.
Better: being a person can be rough.
Best – being a Christian means
rejection - walking away - and the cross.
Wait a minute! Think for a moment.
Didn’t you know that? And besides
that, maybe he’s right and I’m wrong.
Hey, you never know.


© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2013

No comments: