Friday, June 21, 2013

LISTENING TO
A WASHING MACHINE



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 11th Friday in Ordinary Time is, “Listening to a Washing Machine.”

I vaguely remembered and then looked up on line a comedy skit by Bob Newhart - where this family would put their father’s toupee into one of those front end washing machines - the one with the window. Then the members of the family would sit there and laugh as they watched it swish around in the water. Thought: was this the family of the person who invented the TV?




The title of my homily is, “Listening to a Washing Machine.”

I have never pulled up a chair and sat there and listened to a washing machine or a dish washer - but I’ve heard them after loading them or checking to see if they were finished.

The sounds vary. The sounds shift. The sounds are of tumble and switch.

The title of my homily is, “Listening to a Washing Machine.”

That’s the strange thought that hit me when I read today’s readings - especially today’s first reading from 2nd Corinthians.

ST. PAUL’S LIFE

As you know St. Paul dominates the New Testament.

We have his letters and we have a lot about him in The Acts of the Apostles.

He was the educated one. As far as we know the others weren’t as educated. Some were fishermen - knowing the waters of Galilee - sometimes knowing when and where to fish - and how to mend nets.

In today’s first reading from 2nd Corinthians  11: 18, 21-30 - we hear Paul arguing with some group - and he was in the habit of arguing.  And he pulls out all the stops. In today's reading he’s like a parent  - when a kid tells how hard a time he’s going through. Well St. Paul says,  “You think you have it rough? I was in prison a bunch of times. I was beaten and almost killed.  Five times at the hands of the Jews I received forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods,  once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked.” And he goes on and on like that.

That’s where I began hearing the sounds - like that of a washing machine - churning and shifting, swishing water and swirling clothes in the deep!

Then the machine finally stops. We open it up and everything is clean. The spaghetti sauce and melted cheese are off the plates and silverware or shirt or skirt or table cloth.

In today’s gospel  - Matthew 6: 19-23 - Jesus tells us more about life. In the long run the stuff that is not important has rotted and decayed. Time steals or another robs what can be taken. We wrinkle and wither, sag and leak - in time.

What remains is our heart. What’s in our heart?  


That’s what Jesus wants us to look at. It’s what remains - not what is lost. Better: we need to look at what we treasure. We better make sure we have what’s important and what’s right.

Jesus then switches from the heart to the eye.

Basic. Basic. Basic. That’s Jesus.

When we get our heart right, we can look each other in the eye.

When we can look each other in the eye, we can see that our heart is right.

I know that when I procrastinate and put things off, I want to hide - lest I see someone who is expecting me to finish something I promised I’d get to - or get done.

CONCLUSION

In the meanwhile, it’s important that we not only observe life, but that we learn from life.

Once more, the title of my homily is, “Listening to a Washing Machine.” 

Obviously, we're never going to sit there and listen to a washing machine. But if we did,  we could follow its stops and starts. We could follow its cycles.

In the meanwhile, what we could do, is this. We could sit there and look at the cycles of your life. We could make our list - like St. Paul did in today’s first reading. We could see when our heart was right - when our eye was right - when we were living in the light - as well as those times we were chasing after what doesn’t last - when we were living in the dark.


It’s then we could ask Jesus for a thorough washing - a rebaptism - a recleansing - and then a restarting - again and again and again. 

No comments: