Thursday, May 31, 2012

VISITATION




THE  VISIT


I was in the hospital and you showed up with a funny helium balloon and your love. Thank you.

I was down - really down - because I had done something really dumb - and you’re the only one in the family who was willing to be seen with me. Thank you.

I was in jail and I heard you defended me by mentioning the old Indian saying, “Don’t judge anyone till you have walked a mile in their moccasins.” Thank you.

I was in the nursing home and you came with haste to visit me - wrinkled incontinent me - and you stayed with me for 47 minutes. Thank you.

I was standing there 5 yards from the casket. We had been married 37 years and cancer visited us and you came in haste at the end of a  busy day to stand on line and then to be with us in the funeral parlor. You didn’t have to say a word. Thank you.

I was by myself - just standing there at the gathering feeling like a stranger in a strange land -  with a strange accent - and you saw me, came over and said, “Hello!” Thank you.

I was me - labeled "homosexual" or what have you - and the church and some others were ranting at us  -  wanting to throw rough rocky words at us and you didn’t. You understood. Thank you.

I was overweight and you didn’t give me “the look” or hand me "the diet". You simply were there with me. Thank you.

I was fired from the company - dropped - whatever word they used - and you called me two weeks later to hear if I and the family were okay - and “What’s happening?” and whether I got another job or job offer. Thank you.

I was at the coffee break and people were arguing politics, politics, politics and I was sick and tired of politics, politics, politics - and you came over and showed me pictures of your grand kids - and we had a great conversation about the college one was going to, the job another just got, and another was about to come home from Afghanistan. Thank you. Thank you. Thank You, Lord.

I was the reader at church and read the wrong reading and 13 people gave me the “Stupid!” look - but you said nothing - better you smoothly changed your sermon and referred gracefully to what I had read. Thank you.

I was pregnant - nervous because maybe I was too old for this - but you came in haste to visit me and I could hear my baby jumping for joy within me - and because you too were pregnant and I could hear myself chanting, “My soul sings out the greatness of the Lord; my spirit finds joy in God my savior. Amen. Thank you.”


OOOOOOOO




Painting on top, "Visitation"  - found on line by typing into Google, "Paintings - Visitation".



This is a reflection I wrote this morning for today's feast of the Visitation - May 31, 2012..

©  Andy Costello, Reflections, 2012

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I was visiting my computer and I said "Thank you Jesus for Fr. Andy; he's a lot like You."

Mary Joan said...

Amen , Patrick !