Friday, April 13, 2012


       COACHING

He always wanted to be a coach,
even when he was a player ….
Then when he made it, when
he was hired, he began to feel
the tough of it - the decisions -
to cut players - to bench ego’s -
to field the best - realizing this
meant the wrath of parents -
the nasty chanting of fans -
when the team was going
through a slump - yet he hung
in there - with Harry Truman’s
words on his office desk. “If you
can’t stand the heat, get out of
the kitchen.” That helped, but
what really helped was a poem
his wife read to him from Mary Oliver:

FARM COUNTRY*

I have sharpened my knives, I have
Put on the heavy apron.

Maybe you think life is chicken soup, served
In blue willow-pattern bowls.

I have put on my boots and opened
The kitchen door and stepped out

Into the sunshine. I have crossed the lawn
I have entered

The hen house.




* Mary Oliver, New and  Selected Poems
Volume One, Page  211


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2012

No comments: