Wednesday, April 13, 2011


AND THE TRUTH
WILL SET YOU FREE



INTRODUCTION


The title of my homily for this 5th Wednesday in Lent is, “And The Truth Will Set You Free.”


Jesus, in today’s gospel, teaches us a great truth: “The truth will set us free.”


FIRST IT HURTS

I’m sure you heard the addition to that saying: “But first it will hurt.”

Isn’t that why we often don’t want to know the truth. It hurts. It’s too painful.

I’m sure a lot of you saw the movie, “A Few Good Men” where Tom Cruise plays the part of the lawyer, Lt. Daniel Kaffee. And many people remember the scene and lines when Kaffee challenges Col. Nathan R. Jessep, played by Jack Nicholson. Kaffee says to Jessp, “I want the truth.” and Col Jessep fires back, “You can’t handle the truth.”

I see that whole movie as a parable on this saying of Jesus: “And the truth will set you free.” That’s the Good News. The tough news in the movie – is that people have to fall – lose it all – struggle – push – pull – in order to discover the real truth.


Jesus was killed because he told the truth – truths that can set us free. Jesus tells us that sin enslaves us. Isn’t that the truth?

FREEDOM


How many times have parents and teachers and principals and police investigators said to people, “Tell the truth!”? And we know when a person in a court room goes up the stand to testify, he or she puts her hand on the Bible and says, “I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.”

Freedom and truth are linked. Yet often we need the God’s help to link them.

The person who smokes is killing herself or himself – and who wants to know that truth? However, it will set a person free. So too any addiction.


Who wants to know what really hurts? Yet Jesus tried to bring people through that truth – to the other side of that threshold – that doorway – that eye of the needle – and if they choose to follow him – they find freedom – fresh air – the Promised Land on the other said of that slavery – that Egypt.


CONFESSION

Isn’t that the background – the reason – why people want to go to confession – in Lent? The curtain, the wall, anonymity helps – but we can’t be anonymous to Jesus and ourselves. And when it comes to experiencing forgiveness, it’s my experience as priest to discover that it’s not Jesus who is the problem here. It’s me. It’s my sin of pride. It’s my inability to say, “I did it.”

“Bless me Father, for I have sinned!”

It’s like that moment at an A.A. meeting when someone stands up and says, “I’m Jetro and I’m an alcoholic.”

We all know the text in James 5: 16: “Confess your sins to one another – and pray for one another – and this will cure you!”

“And the truth will set you free.”

THEODORE ROETKE - THE POET

At times I remember a line from the poet, Theodore Roetke: “O the lies I have told my energies.”

When I read that I said to myself, “Isn’t that the truth!”?

I have my list of excuses for not finishing so many things. My sins of omission stare me in my mirror more than things I have done wrong. That’s my way of saying Psalm 51.

Theodore Roetke added, ‘Get down to where your obsessions are! For Christ’s sake shake it loose.” (1)

LENT: A TIME FOR DEEP SEA FISHING

Obviously, Lent is time to get down to where our obsessions are.

Obviously, Lent is 40 days to go into the desert and discover the deserted parts of our soul. Lent is a time to go deep sea fishing – to leave the shallow waters of self.

Lent is a time to hear Jesus says, “Go within.” “Go underneath.”

We don’t. We stay on the surface but start deep sea fishing or digging into other’s depths – judging them – condemning them.

As Shakespeare puts it in Julius Caesar, “The fault dear Brutus is not in the stars but in us.”

We are as T.S. Eliot said straw, stuffed people. “We are the hollow men, We are the stuffed men, Leaning together, Headpieces filled with straw.”

With Jesus there is hope. With Jesus there is fullness of redemption.

As Redemptorists we preach hope. Our motto motivates us in confession and in the pulpit. It’s from Psalm 130 – the De Profundis Psalm – the Out of the Depths I cry to you psalm. Verse 7 proclaims our motto and vision: “Copiosa apud eum redemptio!” “With him there is fullness of redemption.” Notice the word depth. It’s in our depths – in our obsessions - in our oppressions - in our depressions - in those places where we don’t like to go – we can discover the Redeemer.

Isn’t that the truth?

I love it that Jesus was born on straw. I love it that the straw man in The Wizard of Oz in reality was a real person.

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “And The Truth Will Set You Free.”

Isn’t it wonderful we don’t have to do it all on our own – that Jesus is our Redeemer, Savior, Liberator?

Isn’t that the truth? Amen.




NOTES

(1) Cf. Saturday Review, June 29, 1968, “Words for Young Writers - From the Notes of Theodore Roetke” by David Wagoner.

No comments: