Friday, April 4, 2008

SISTERS

Aware that Vocations Sunday is coming up, I put a few reflective pieces about a vocation to be a Religious Sister in my blog. Obviously, there are many vocational choices in life – and for a Christian there are many that come out of our baptismal calling.

When it comes to promoting ministries and service in our Church, it seems to me, promoting a life choice as a “Sister” or a “Nun” is often missed or forgotten.

This is an “ecological” disaster for our Church.

When I speak as priest to young people I ask at times, “Have any of you young ladies here ever given any thought of becoming a nun?” “Have you ever considered being a Sister.”

I say this because I was taught at OLPH Brooklyn grammar school by the Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood, N.Y. I remember Sister Jean Kevin, Sister Teresa Carmel, Sister Anne Marguerite, and so many other gals who have a lasting impact on me because of my 8 years in classrooms and school yards with them.

I say this because the Gray Nuns cooked for us when I was in the seminary – women who came from Germany to serve us future priests. Imagine doing that as a life choice? Amazing!

I say this because my dad had 3 sisters in the Sisters of Mercy – in Portland, Maine.

I say this because my sister Peggy is a nun – a Scranton, IHM - Immaculate Heart of Mary. [Check out a younger picture of her below - which should make her very happy.]

I say this because we Redemptorists are historically connected to a group of contemplative nuns – called the Redemptoristines.

I say this because nuns around the world have started hospitals, colleges, clinics, nursing homes, and countless programs that have helped those needing help – especially the unnoticed and neglected.

I say this because I have given lots of nuns’ retreats before I became a parish priest here at St. Mary’s Annapolis and I didn’t see enough young people in the mix. Walking around the property of many Motherhouses, I spotted large cemeteries. I walked through rows and rows and rows of the deceased. Each stone was the same as they were when they were in their nuns’ habits - each so different as brief biographical names and numbers on etched into the stone. And I wondered, “Why so many then? Why so few now?”

I am aware that many Sisters left their communities after the Second Vatican Council – for all kinds of reasons – many to breathe fresher air – to become more fully alive. Having gone through a pre-Vatican II formation system myself to become a religious and a priest, I know there were various weaknesses – especially when it came to understanding humanity. I am also aware of many sisters who stayed and grew – and became richer human beings. I go crazy when I hear priests comment about nuns and habits – and all that. I learned my lesson early on in life when I bought one of my nieces a Jordache vest for a Christmas gift. She never told me – but I hope someone, somewhere in some Goodwill Store thought it was a good buy. “Can’t beat the price.” I hear priests say: “Well, the communities of sisters getting vocations today all wear the habit.” And if I get sucked into the argument, I add: “Of course uniforms are important – and it gets people in the door. But if they stay, they better stay for the better reasons.” Then I add comments like, “ They better be able to go mufti like we did.” And “We have to learn something from history.” Then I add, “Remember the old saying, ‘The habit doesn’t make the monk.’” Then I say to myself, “Shut up! Let the women talk for the women.”

I am aware of the many single and married women who are giving their life and talents to teaching, nursing, running schools, hospitals, programs and parishes.

My thought in this blog piece is that there is a loss taking place.

Maybe a woman reading this will say, “I never thought of this for a life choice.” Come Holy Spirit.

Obviously, the shortage of priests in the Church in the United States, has challenged me to wonder about that as well as the shortage of religious sisters and nuns.

My personal observational research says a key reason for the decline is that parents are having less kids and want to see grandkids.

I always like to quote Groucho Marx’s words, “If your parents didn’t have any kids, chances are you won’t either.”

It’s been the choice of the Catholic Church in the “West” that priests and religious come from families as gifts to the Church and the world – especially the poor. So I hope couples are blessed with kids and say at times, “Think about giving your life to the people of our world as a sister or a brother or a priest. It means making the sacrifice of your life of being a husband or a wife – and parent – and giving all your love for the parents and children of our world.”

Another observation I make is that we live in what I call, “The Clicker Generation.” If the program on the screen is boring, change the channel or turn it off and go to the computer or e-mails or Google. Or pick up the cell phone. It seems that long term life commitments are not on people’s screen. However, as I say that I think of the many dedicated driven folks – with lifetime commitments - whom I have met in various careers. So I am not sure.

Should there be more ads for becoming a nun or a sister? More promotion? It seems to me that is pouring good money down the drain – but more asking folks to consider such a life is the best promotion.

So let me ask you the reader of this blog – especially women: Did you ever think of being a religious, a sister, a brother, a priest?

© Andy Costello,
Reflections, 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Fr Andy, I dreamed once of being a religious sister -- first apostolic, and later a Carmelite living in cloister. In my youth we were blessed to have sisters and priests in abundance, and it was natural to ask onself, "What if?" With fewer priests and men and women religious, as you say, we --religious, priests, laity -- need to ask our youth, "What if?"