Tuesday, February 7, 2023

 February 7, 2023



JOY

 

I had some money in my wallet –

in the money part of the leather.

I decided to buy some joy.

A chocolate milk shake was my

first choice. Good move. But what

else? I walked next door to a drug

store. I walked up and down all aisles.

What will bring me joy? That was

my exact question. For starters - perfect

question - for anyone looking for joy.

I spotted it on the next to the bottom

shelf – in the last aisle. It was a medium

blue wooden yo-yo – only $2.99.

I went outside to the cement sidewalk.

Amazing. I could till feel joy in my face

and hands and in my inner being.

I could still do “Walk the Dog” and

“Around the World” and “Rock the

Cradle” and then bring the yo-yo

back home to it roost after each trick.

It must be at least 66 years – since I was

last doing that as a kid in a school yard – 

OLPH Brooklyn. Today three kids 

standing there went, "Wow! Wow!"

And with joy I gave the youngest kid 

my yo-yo. I guess I always wanted to do 

that – to have some kid give me such joy.

 

© Reflections, Andy Costello


No comments: