Wednesday, September 14, 2022

 September  14, 2022


Reflection



BEFORE THE CRUISE


I was about to head to Florida to take a cruise with some people from our parish - and head for Panama and a few other places.


How does one prepare for a trip - any trip?


What does that question tell about a person?


That triggered a memory of Jack Nicholson packing in the movie, "As Good As It Gets."


I think of Tom who had bought several books on how to pack.


I think of Mom and Dad in Ireland - long before I existed - and before they got married here the states - packing.  I never heard any conversation about that experience.


I think of young people going off to college.


I think of men and women going off to war.


For my trip to Panama and the cruise in the Caribbean, I'll have to make a list of "Things to Do!"


Next came the, "What happens next?" question.


Next came the money question.  How much will I need.


The thought of being a little boy again - and not having enough money for our Altar Boy boat ride up the Hudson River.


I'll figure it out. I always do.


Then the thought: bring a book for journaling.


Will I write the stories - the stories of my life.


I said, "Yes!"


Then the  doubt: "Will I?"


No comments: