Thursday, September 24, 2020

 September  23.  2020


TORN DOWN HOUSE


Mangled stucco and concrete –
rubble – the remains of the
house that was taken down –
the house where we used to live:
326 – 62nd Street, Brooklyn, NY.
 
Bulldozed – crumbled  – crushed –
till it finally gave in - and caved in -
making room for the Gowanus
Parkway above – now with
thousands and thousands of
cars and trucks and buses -
going though and over where
my brother and I played with
our cars and lead soldiers.
 
Now our house exists only in
the black and white photographs  -
that slip out  of the old albums –
when I page through them –
falling out because the scotch tape
has lost its stickiness.  Ugh .... Age….
 
But wait -  now - in 2020 – in this
lost year of the pandemic – I’m
grateful that I have time to look at –
so many pictures and scenes that
I’m realizing are still  sticky, sticky, 
stuck, stuck - in my  memory - when I go 
back there to the 1940’s and early 50’s.

 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2020



No comments: