Thursday, July 16, 2020



FOOTPRINTS  OR  FINGERPRINTS

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is “Footprints or Fingerprints.”

Some time back there I had the job of novice master – 1984 to 1993 – 9 classes. At the end of the year I would hand out 30 questions – one of which was, “Looking at your life, a sermon you remember.”

I never made anyone's list. 

However, several times someone would mention a sermon by a classmate that was very short: “God is love. That’s all you need to know.”  

It was only 9 words.  

Is there a message there?

SAINT BONAVENTURE

Somewhere along the line I heard someone give a sermon about Saint Bonaventure. Today is his feast day.  The preacher said that Bonaventure liked to talk about God’s footprints or fingerprints. God’s fingerprints are on everything.

I forgot who gave that – but I never forgot the message.

Bonaventure’s word was “vestigia” – meaning traces – marks – indicators – footprints – fingerprints.

He loved to say God’s fingerprints are everywhere on creation.

His footprints are in the garden.

Then Bonaventure added: “When you spot them, realize they are a ladder. Climb that ladder and you’ll meet and find God. Embrace that God who is utterly desirable.”

Every July 15th I remember this. I also remember this  when when I hear the name St. Bonaventure mentioned – as well as when I see footprints or fingerprints.

LOOKING AT YOUR PROGRAM

Looking at your handout  program for today: The Vision Still Has Time # 3,  I see the message about seeing Christ in the soil, in the earth, in the souls, in the bellies of those around us.

Christ is the pearl, the treasure that everyone is seeking.

We’re all pilgrims.

Dig, find, proclaim, show and tell – especially to those hurting, wounded and those with tears – those needing a field hospital in our midst.

THREE FOOTPRINTS – THREE FINGERPRINTS

Looking at Bonaventure’s message about tracing the vestigial – the footprints and fingerprints - all around us,  I want to ask three questions.

FIRST: GOD’S FOOTPRINTS

Looking at our life – where have we seen God’s fingerprints or footprints.

Be specific.

When I’m in Manhattan and I drop into St. Patrick’s Cathedral – I walk up the avenue about a block or so and drop into St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church. I meet God there – Christ there. I walk up the few front steps. I open up the big heavy doors.  I walk into that quiet, dark church – and take a seat off to the side in the back. It's one of my sacred places.

What are yours?   Be specific.

SECOND: OTHER’S FOOTPRINTS

We’ve all had a Robinson Crusoe moment – when we spot another’s footprint – another who had a great impact on our life.

Robinson Crusoe spotted Friday’s footprint. There is another person on this island besides me – on this planet besides me.

A retreat is a good time to name those persons for us.

At a preaching workshop here at San Alfonso, someone asked us to name those who influenced our preaching.

As I listened to others I began to name Bill Jamison and Charlie Wilkinson and Sal Umana.

During this time of Pandemic I have found myself catching up on my reading. I read at two volume book by Robert Emmet about Robert Emmet and it got me in touch with my Irish footprints and fingerprints. The book was dated 1903.

Next I picked up a tiny print – 746 word book, Wherever Green Is Worn. It’s The Story of the Irish Diaspora.  The author Tim Pat Coogan takes  a reader all around the world. I’m  on page 487 now. I just arrived in New Zealand.

On page 250 I read about someone I never heard of – but I said to myself “The Marists are coming here soon for retreat and maybe I’ll be asked to do a homily.”

Well, it happened .... Hi.

This is what I spotted: 

Quote: “I can’t leave Scotland without touching upon the great symbol of the Irish presence in Scotland – and of Orange and Green divisions through its clashes with Glasgow Rangers – Glasgow Celtic Football Club. The club owes both the inspiration for its founding and its name to an Irish Marist, Brother Walfrid from Sligo, who announced the formation of ‘The Celtic Football and Athletic Club’ on 6 November 1887.  The reasons behind the club’s formation were explained by Brother Walfrid and a Committee of fellow Catholics in a circular issued the following January:

“The main object of the club is to supply the East End conferences of the St. Vincent de Paul Society with funds for the maintenance of the ‘Dinner Tables’ of our needy children in the missions of St. Mary’s, St. Michael’s and Sacred Heart.   Many cases of sheer poverty are left unaided through lack of means.  It is therefore with this object that we have set afloat the ‘Celtic’.

The author, of the book I’m reading, concludes, “Brother Walfrid and his collaborators would have been thunderstruck if they could  have looked into the future to see how the good ship Celtic altered course from those early charitable objectives to achieve a commercial reputation worth nearly L200 million at the time of writing – and a cultural reputation of being one of the two principal lightning rods of Scottish sectarianism, the other being the Protestant club, Glasgow Rangers. The teams' legendary encounters, known as the Old Firm games,  diffuse and distill all the ancient rancours of the Orange and Green traditions."

That's a long quote - dangerous to do in a homily - but I use it because you are Marist Brothers and Brother Walfrid would give credit to your fingerprint and footprint on the planet.

THIRD: OUR FOOTPRINTS AND FINGERPRINTS

That leads to ourselves.  It’s good to hope and it’s good to believe that our lives touch and have touched the lives of so many.

We have hands and we have feet and we’ve been in many places.

Take some time and take a look at where you've been and what you've done.

Praise the Lord. Thank you Lord.


            



No comments: