Wednesday, February 12, 2020

February 12, 2020


INNER VOICES


At times I’ve been tempted to collect your mistakes,
to write them down in a book, listing time, date, place, 
the things you said, or did to me that hurt - really hurt.

Then months later when a border war or skirmish
between us erupts, I can pull out my list of your
mistakes and splash them in your face, like acid.

Wait. I can’t do that. We’re Christians. We’re
humans. I don’t want to do  that.  I choose not
to hold onto all  the stupid things you do.

Yet! But! Wait!  A hesitation appears. If or when
you pick out something I’ve done wrong, a mistake,
I'll  have no book or words  to throw at you.

Yet! But! Wait! Come to think about it – there is
a benefit for me in not keeping such a diary ….
My space would begin to stink with smelly thoughts.

So, I guess, love for you is really love for me too.
Good thing someone took the time to write down
the words of Jesus - on why to love one's enemies.


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2020

No comments: