Monday, January 20, 2020

January 20, 2020




BLACK   BALLOON

Finally, someone bought me.
I had been on the bottom of
a pile of red, blue, and yellow
baloons - unblown up – empty -
airless for four weeks now and 
nobody seemed to want a black balloon -
just red, yellow and blue. Finally, I’m
out of the store – this kid screaming
“Daddy, hurry,  HURRY, blow up
my balloon” He did and on went
the string that the store keeper
gave my dad – and the kid hung onto
that string – and I loved it, LOVED
it  – me floating up into the wind
hi and mighty – in the wind - in
the sunshine – in the scream
of a  kid – with a black  balloon –
me – high above the crowd -
that is - till he saw the ice cream
sign – and then- it was THEN –
he accidently let my string go
and I was flying, high, HIGH,
above the park, above the crowd
chanting the words of the King,
“Free at last, thank God, I’m free at last.”

© Andy Costello, Reflections

No comments: