Saturday, December 21, 2019


VISITATION


INTRODUCTION

The  title of my reflection for today - December 21st - is “Visitation”.

That’s a theme in today’s two readings: Song of Songs 2 8-14; Luke 1: 39-45

Visitation.

Question: What do you reflect upon when you say the second joyful mystery of the rosary – which is: The Visitation.

TO UNDERSTAND THAT QUESTION

To understand what I mean by that question, let me go this way.

When John Paul II came up with his push for 5 more mysteries of the Rosary, I said to myself, “Oh no!”

Then in time I got used to how to handle these 5 new mysteries to reflect upon while saying the rosary.

I see the rosary the same as Muslims see a prayer rug. I take it out to tell myself  - and others – that I am now going to pray.

5 LIGHT BEARING MYSTERIES

When I say the 5 light bearing mysteries I go the following way some times.

For the first mystery: the baptism of Jesus I’ll think of 10 people whom I baptized  - one for each  Hail Mary – saying a prayer for them.

For the second mystery, Cana, I think of 10 people I married.

For the third mystery: preaching or proclamation I say prayers for 10 preachers that day -  at weddings, funerals, daily Mass, etc. for places – churches and retreat houses, etc.

So too that all people like Jesus move more and more towards Transfiguration – that 4th Luminous Mystery.

And the 5th Mystery – The Eucharist – that Jesus feeds us all with his being – and all Christians move back to the true presence of Christ – in the Bread – especially family members by name that they come back to Mass.

THE VISITATION

Okay, so that’s how I do the rosary – for all 20 mysteries.

I move it back and forth from Jesus and Mary to us – to me – and in that way the rosary becomes real for me.

So, for this second joyful mystery – the Visitation – the theme in today’s gospel, I’ll think of 10 great visits in my life – or 10 important visits people have or I’ve seen.

People getting home for Christmas.

People visiting neighbor in the hospital, the nursing home, the funeral home.

Lovers meeting  - rushing to be with each other as we hear in today’s first reading – from The Song of Songs – read at many a wedding.  It’s not always 1st Corinthians Love is patient, love is kind ….

Or praying people will come back home to each other  - that family members will visit each other - talk to each other…. phones, skype, in person, e-mail, text….  Visits …. Visitation.

CONCLUSION

Life is mystery – mysteries – joyful, sorrowful, glorious, light giving - but not always.

No comments: