Wednesday, December 25, 2019

December 26, 2019




GALWAY  BAY

I wasn’t as lucky as my parents –
lucky enough to be born on Galway Bay.
My mom said it was poor and rocky –
or as she put it, “Ireland has nothing”.
So she came to Boston and my dad came
to Boston, Portland, Maine, Philadelphia,
New York City, Hell’s Kitchen – finally
marrying my mom  and  settling in
Brooklyn – above the Narrows – the water
way that could lead you back to Ireland.

I was lucky enough to hear about
Galway Bay from Bing Crosby and
Johnny Cash and so many other singers -
and I was lucky enough to finally visit
the green earth and the turf and the stone
houses where they came from – and to
discover Ireland had everything - God
and especially people like my parents –
and my relatives  in that heaven –  
“in that dear land across the Irish sea.”

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2019




No comments: