Saturday, September 21, 2019



WHO  ME?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “Who Me?”

Today is the feast of St. Matthew.

In today’s gospel from Matthew, Mathew the Tax Collector, is sitting there at his custom’s post and Jesus passes by. He stops. He spots Matthew. He calls Matthew! Matthew stands up. Matthew follows  Jesus. Just like that.

GESTURES

If you want, take your hand and hold up your index finger towards the ceiling.  Now point it towards your chest and say, “Who me?”  Try that!

Next take that same finger - make out you’re Jesus - and point that finger towards Matthew and once more say, “You! Follow me.”

“Who me?”

The key message from this gospel and from this reading is this: “God calls the one who is a sinner.”

At the end of today’s gospel  we hear that Jesus has come to call the sinner.

There it is: the central message, the  central point of Christ.  Jesus came to bring mercy - forgiveness - understanding - acceptance - love for each of us.

CARAVAGGIO

 In 2014 I went to Rome on a trip with people from the parish I was in. We went with a group on a bus trip  to Rome. The plan was take different tours or side trips around Rome.  Since I once spent 5 weeks in Rome, my plan was to go to the Redemptorst Headquarters and see some Redemptorists there that I knew.

However,  I spotted two old ladies who were on our tour. They were by themselves. I knew them from other trips. I asked them what they were going to do. They said, “Oh, just walk around.” Hearing that,  I dropped my plans and asked if they wanted company. “Gladly!” One was 77 and the other was 82.  I figured that would be the thing to do.



We saw St. Peter’s and then started walking.  I had been with them on other tours and if they saw a Victoria’s Secret - they had to go in. So I waited outside. They came out laughing and laughing - without buying anything.  Next,  we found ourselves in the Piazza Navonne - where they have three fountains - including the enormous Neptune statue.

Surprise I see a church over the water sprays of the fountain and I said, “Let’s check that church.”

It was the French church - San Luigi dei Francesi - St. Louis of the French. It was a baroque church from the 1500’s. Surprise - I didn’t know this - but it had 3 famous painting of St. Mathew.  A Cardinal - with the name of Matthew wanted paintings of St. Matthew.  They got an artist but he dropped out, so someone picked Caravaggio.

By total accident I saw 3 Caravaggios that day: The Call of Matthew, The Inspiration of St. Matthew and the Martyrdom of Matthew ....

I liked The Call of Matthew the best.


There was Matthew - the sinner - in a tavern with Christ pointing towards him.  There was Matthew pointing his finger towards himself - seeming to say, “Who me?”



He’s at table with 4 others counting money. Christ calls Matthew the sinner.

Seeing that I had a future sermon.

Today I’m finally using it. Caravvagio the sinner painted great big paintings - with light and shadow. He understood  calls from God or Christ. He was so good he had many offers and commissions.

Caravvagio knew grace, call, love, sin, light darkness. He was a pimp, a murderer, being chased by police, escaping from prison - probably murdered himself at 38.

We bought the book - the guide book from that church - with the 3 paintings of Matthew.

CONCLUSION: HOMEWORK

If you use google - type into the search box, “Caravaggio; the Call of Matthew.”  

Study the painting in the context of today’s gospel reading: Matthew 9:9-13.

Then check out the various YouTube short videos on Caravaggio and Matthew.

If Caravaggio becomes an interest for you - or even an addiction - go for it.

What I’m saying is this: there are lots of paintings by Caravaggio. Study them all. Connect them to the Bible text they are depicting and you’ll have some great spiritual reading and picturing.

Or if you get to Rome get to see this painting by Caravaggio: the Call of Matthew. Pope Francis loved this painting and told people going to Rome, to make sure you spent time at this painting. Amen.

No comments: