Wednesday, September 11, 2019

FOUR   POETS 
FOUR  POEMS 

Since I mention 4 poets in my next piece, "Poet and Priest" - I thought I'd present 4 poems - poems from Mary Oliver, Denise Levertov, Dereck Walcott and Seamus Heaney.



You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

by  Mary Oliver

THE SECRET

 Two girls discover
 the secret of life
 in a sudden line of
 poetry.

 I who don’t know the
 secret wrote
 the line.  They
 told me

 (through a third person)
 they had found it
 but not what it was
 not even

 what line it was.  No doubt
 by now, more than a week
 later, they have forgotten
 the secret,

 the line, the name of
 the poem.  I love them
 for finding what
 I can’t find,

 and for loving me
 for the line I wrote,
 and for forgetting it
 so that

 a thousand times, till death
 finds them, they may
 discover it again, in other
 lines

 in other
 happenings.  And for
 wanting to know it,
 for

 assuming there is
 such a secret, yes,
 for that
 most of all.

from “O Taste and See” (1967)
by Denise Levertov

THE FIST

The fist clenched round my heart
loosens a little, and I gasp
brightness; but it tightens
again. When have I ever not loved
the pain of love? But this has moved

past love to mania. This has the strong
clench of the madman, this is
gripping the ledge of unreason, before
plunging howling into the abyss.

Hold hard then, heart. This way at least you live.

by Dereck Walcott 


DIGGING

Between my finger and my thumb
The squat pen rests; as snug as a gun.

Under my window a clean rasping sound
When the spade sinks into gravelly ground:
My father, digging. I look down

Till his straining rump among the flowerbeds
Bends low, comes up twenty years away
Stooping in rhythm through potato drills
Where he was digging.

The coarse boot nestled on the lug, the shaft
Against the inside knee was levered firmly.
He rooted out tall tops, buried the bright edge deep
To scatter new potatoes that we picked
Loving their cool hardness in our hands.

By God, the old man could handle a spade,
Just like his old man.

My grandfather could cut more turf in a day
Than any other man on Toner's bog.
Once I carried him milk in a bottle
Corked sloppily with paper. He straightened up
To drink it, then fell to right away
Nicking and slicing neatly, heaving sods
Over his shoulder, going down and down
For the good turf. Digging.

The cold smell of potato mold, the squelch and slap
Of soggy peat, the curt cuts of an edge
Through living roots awaken in my head.
But I've no spade to follow men like them.

Between my finger and my thumb
The squat pen rests.
I'll dig with it.
By Seamus Heaney



No comments: