Friday, January 11, 2019




ETERNAL   LIFE

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Friday after the Epiphany  is, “Eternal Life.”

That’s the key message in today’s first reading: Eternal Life.

It’s one of the key themes in this first reading.

Here’s how today’s first reading ends:

And this is the testimony:
God gave us eternal life,
and this life is in his Son.
Whoever possesses the Son has life;
whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life.

I write these things to you so that you may know
that you have eternal life,
you who believe in the name of the Son of God
.

That’s enough for me. Amen. Amen.

PEOPLE ARE LIVING LONGER

People are living a lot longer today than they were 100 - 200 - 1000 years ago.

But life expectancy and how long people live  are tricky statistics, because child deaths were much more frequent in the past.. Then we can add: plus the medicines back then were nothing like today - plus technology - plus medical knowledge. There has been lots of improvement.

Question: Do people of today have less fears and wonderings how long we’re  going to last - than in the past?  I would think so, but each of us has to answer that one for ourselves.

Then  there are death reminders: the death of an old classmate or neighbor about our age. Then there is the obituary column - much less read than in the past. Then we find ourselves driving past a cemetery or we spot a hearse and a funeral procession and thoughts of death whisper in our ear.

Then we can put our own reminders into our surroundings.  They used to put a skull at the feet of various  saint statues. We can put a death memorial card on a bathroom  or bedroom mirror.

John Donne [1572-1631] - who is famous for his “No Man Is an island Poem” - in which we hear “When the bell tolls, it tolls for you.”  Well when he became a priest in the Anglican Communion, he moved away from his worldly ambitions.

Interestingly, had his portrait painted - but in a winding sheet - the kind they wrapped the dead in. For the painting, he also had his hands and body arranged as a corpse. Then he had that picture in his room, next to his bed, as a reminder of his mortality.

A SENSE OF HUMOR

When it comes to death,  having a sense of humor can help. Can I laugh at wrinkles.  Can I laugh at the saying, “Old age is an organ recital.”

H.L. Mencken [1880-1956] wrote his own epitaph, “If after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.”  This was engraved on a plaque in the lobby of the Baltimore Sun.

I would also think, besides humor, faith would help. If we think by faith and have God in our lives, we can relax and put all in God’s hand.

CONCLUSION: PRAYER

Our gospel for today can get us to look at this life health problems, I went with our  first reading for today and looked at death.

I spoke about having the faith and the hope to say to God: “I don’t know if there is anything after this - but I’ll take you’re promise of eternal life.”

Then add, Thomas’ prayer: “Lord I believe, help my unbelief.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site is my inhalation, rattling excellent layout and Perfect content material.