Sunday, January 13, 2019

January 17, 2019

MARY  OLIVER DIED  TODAY

Mary Oliver died today - January 17, 2019!

She’ll hang around in books and anthologies
as well in graduation and commencement addresses.

As she continues to grace us and our God with her take 
and her observations about the wonderful gifts - especially crawly things.



Here’s a poem by Mary Oliver that I really like.

WHAT WE WANT

In a poem
people want 
something fancy,

but even more
they want something
inexplicable
made plain,

easy to swallow -
no unlike  a suddenly
harmonic passage

in an otherwise
difficult sometimes dissonant
symphony -

even if it is only
for the moment
hearing it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here’s my echo.


WHAT  I   WANT

In a poem,
I want a metaphor.

In a prayer
I want a connection with God.

In a prophet,
I want a challenge.

In a song,
I want it to get me singing.

In a baby,
I want a smile.

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2019 



No comments: