Wednesday, December 26, 2018



ST. STEPHEN 
AND FORGIVENESS


INTRODUCTION

Today, the first day after Christmas, is the feast of St. Stephen, the first deacon.

It has always been a special day in the Church, a free day from work and school, all through Europe.

It’s also in folk songs, especially Christmas folk songs. “On the feast of Stephen, when the snow lay on the ground.”

A HOMILETIC REFLECTION

For a homily, for our reflection and consideration, I’d like to offer two thoughts on forgiveness.

FIRST: REPUTATION OF BEING A FORGIVING PERSON

First of all, wouldn’t it be nice to have the reputation of being a person of forgiveness. “He’s so forgiving.”

This is the reputation that surrounds St. Stephen. It’s like an aura that surrounds or envelops him.

As he was being stoned to death, he was able to say, “Lord, don’t lay this sin against these people.”

He is simply giving his version of Jesus’ last words from the Cross, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.”

I’ve read in several places that forgiveness is the # 1 theme of Christianity.

Of course, others have said that it is charity or giving or loving. Christmas is the season of giving.

Well, St. Stephen’s, the next day, is the season of forgiving.

Then others say that part of loving is forgiving.

Whatever.

We can simply be grateful that the first feast after Christmas features St. Stephen the patron saint of forgivers.

He is the first person to die in the spirit of Christ and he certainly died in his spirit.

Forgiveness is so central to Christianity.

I’m not saying, “forgetting”. I’m saying “forgiving”.

I’m not saying that we don’t admit our hurt, and feelings of hurt. Stephen was hit by rocks. Rock hurt. They cut. They kill.

I’m not saying that we don’t have feelings of anger and emotional inbursts about someone who hurt us, who said the wrong thing, who ruined our life or our reputation.

I’m saying, “Forgive!”

SECOND HOMILETIC THOUGHT

My first homiletic point is the idea that forgiveness is central to Christianity.

My second thought for today is less. It’s more self-centered. It’s this. When we forgive, we receive peace. We benefit from forgiving.

It’s sort of like making a poster that says: “Want peace; learn to forgive.”

This is the beautiful thing about the Christian life. In giving, we receive. In forgiving, we receive peace. We benefit from forgiving.

This is the message of so many who have done this.

For example, St. Ignatius said, “In giving we receive. In dying, we are born to eternal life.”

This is the paradox -- called Christianity, called “The Pascal Mystery.”

CONCLUSION

So that would two homiletic thoughts for the day.

Let me close with a poem by William Blake, which says what I just said, but much better. Amen.

A POISON TREE

by William Blake

I was angry with my friend; 
I told my wrath, my wrath did end. 
I was angry with my foe: 
I told it not, my wrath did grow. 

And I watered it in fears, 
Night and morning with my tears: 
And I sunned it with smiles, 
And with soft deceitful wiles. 

And it grew both day and night. 
Till it bore an apple bright. 
And my foe beheld it shine, 
And he knew that it was mine. 

And into my garden stole, 
When the night had veiled the pole; 
In the morning glad I see; 
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mode of explaining all in this piece of writing is truly
fastidious, every one be capable of effortlessly know it,
Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

Good information. Lucky me I recently found
your website by accident (stumbleupon). I've bookmarked
it for later!