Monday, December 3, 2018

December 3, 2018



PUERTO RICO

I am an island
surrounded by water -
the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

I am San Juan,
Mayaguez,
Ponce, Guyama,
Carolina, Caguas, Bayamon,
smaller cities and islands.

I am Taino and Igneri,
Hispanic, Catholic
Evangelical and other.

I am American.
I am Latino.
I am some 3,659,087 Puertorriquenos in P.R.
and some 4,600,000 in the mainland USA.

I am mountains.
I am roosters and rain,
then a sun shower
landing on green, green, green.

I am on a road,
many roads that twist
and curve, and then curve some more -
leading to beaches, water, work,
manufacturing, tourism.

I am history  -
a story - many stories.

I am hurricanes:
Maria, Hugo, Irma,
Katrina, and so many others. 

I am a veranda
mi casa, su casa
watching the noise
hearing the show going on.

I am life.


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018



No comments: