Thursday, December 6, 2018



2 REASONS WHY 
WE COME TO MASS

INTRODUCTION

There are many reasons why people come to Mass. Here are 2 possible reasons why  we come to Mass.  There are many others.

Today’s readings give 2 good reasons: healing and hunger.

FIRST REASON: HEALING

The first reason is healing. 

When we go to the doctor, she or he asks, “Where does it hurt?

Once upon a time I cut my finger. It wasn’t a big cut, but I put a band aid on it.

I'm visiting my niece and family and I'm just sitting there on a couch.  I had forgotten about the band aid and the cut. Well, Patrick, my grandnephew comes into the room and spots the band aid, almost immediately, he walks over to me and points to my finger and says, “Boo Boo!”

I didn’t get it - but my niece Patty explained that he and kids often do things like that.

Well, if Jesus walked up to anyone of us here today and pointed at us and said, “Boo! Boo!” what hurt in us, would he have spotted?

Regrets, mistakes, sins, cuts, family wars, what have you?  That’s where we need and want healing.

Fill in the blank, “I’m sick of _____________.”

Is there a veil or a web that is blocking something in us or tying us up?

Jesus loved to ask: “What are you asking for?” or "What can I do for you?"

SECOND REASON: HUNGER

A second reason why we come to Mass is that we hunger.

In today’s gospel Jesus talks about a banquet. In today’s gospel Jesus talks about helping the hungry.

Each of us can say when we walk into a church, “I’m hungry.” “I’m thirsty!” “I’m empty, “I’m needy.” “I am not satisfied.”

Answer the question: What am I hungry about?

We are hungry for reconciliation. We’re hungry for fullness.  We are hungry for inner peace, meaning, for purpose. We are hungry for energy.  We are hungry for courage.  We are hungry for strength.   We are hungry for  love.

In today’s gospel, Jesus gives bread to the hungry and they end up with seven baskets full of food.

Commentators say the 7 might refer to some of the cities in the early church that are mentioned in  the  Acts of the Apostles.

All of us are hungry for- food - for inner  peace - for solutions to our problems,  etc.

CONCLUSION

Why are you here at Mass today?

You are here for various reasons. I shaped out two reasons.  Hopefully, looking  at your answers you are comfortable with your reasons. Amen.



No comments: