Wednesday, March 21, 2018



March 21, 2018


MURDER  MYSTERY:
MELANOMA

Melanoma

Plot: murdered by cancer.
My brother loved to read mysteries,
but his own mystery he wanted to
stop reading as soon as he knew the plot:
death by cancer.

Melanoma.

The detective work became the next chapter.
The killer had moved through the dark red rivers
of my brother’s body - this time hiding in his brain.
A tumor had erupted - a mass -  behind his eye.
Chemotherapy - the loss of hair, the loss of strength.

Melanoma.

My brother, died this day, March 21, 1986.
He was in the hospital. The brain surgery didn’t work.
My brother, a book finished, a mystery, finished
too soon - but with many more pages and chapters to go, so many more stories to tell - 

Melanoma.

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

Oh my goodness .

A beautiful poem and a beautiful family .

Thankfully your brother has you to tell his story and of course his wife and daughters .

These cancer mysteries are too difficult to understand but I do believe one day science will write the ending .