Saturday, November 11, 2017

November 11, 2017



THE  GREEN  CHRIST


Green, red, blue, yellow,
black, brown, grey, rust,
rainbow colored Christ,

I shift and hide and sort
myself out at your side - 
as I hide myself under
your cross - as I suffer
the sufferings of life -
these horrible unexpected,
unexplained,  moments  
when all goes wrong - 
a wrong day, a wrong word, 
a wrong turn.  I'm still green
with all this. Forgive me for
I don't know what I'm doing.
I want to hide from others
and let green tears flow from 
my eyes as your red blood 
still flows from your side
down through the centuries.

© Andy Costello, Reflections

Painting by Paul Gauguin,
The Green Christ, 1887

From Widipedia: "The Green Christ 
(in French: Le Christ vert
is a painting executed 
by Paul Gauguin in autumn 1889 
in Pont-Aven, Brittany, France. 
Together with The Yellow Christ
it is considered to be one 
of the key-works of Symbolismin painting. 
It depicts a Breton woman 
at the foot of a calvary
or sculpture of Christ's crucifixion. 
Calvaries are common 
in town squares in Brittany.
Topographically, the site depicted 
is the Atlantic coast at Le Pouldu
But the calvary depicted is an amalgam
 of calvaires from different sites; 
the cross is based upon that 
in the centre of Névez
a community close to Pont-Avenand 
several miles from the coast, 
and the figure of Christ is based 
upon the calvaire at Briec - 
also some distance from the sea.


No comments: