Monday, October 23, 2017


RIGHTEOUSNESS


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “Righteousness.”

Last night I read today’s two readings and I wondered what would be a theme to say a few words about.

In the first reading from Romans the word “righteousness” hit me.

It’s a theme and an issue that shows up in the scriptures over and over again, so it must be a life issue that shows up over and over again.

TODAY’S FIRST READING

In today’s first reading Abraham is credited with being right.

He made the act of faith - in God’s promise to him.  Then Paul says he was right in doing this.

Then in today’s first reading Paul says we who make the act of faith in God who raised Jesus from the dead - Jesus who died to take away our sins - will be justified, saved.

EVERY HUMAN BEING

Is it safe to say that every human being wants to be right when it comes to what we figured out about life.

Is it safe to say that every human being wants to wake up after death.

Is it safe to say that every human being wants to look around after death and say to those who didn’t believe in life after death, “You were wrong.”

Is it safe to say that every human being wants to wake up after death and hear from God, “Welcome into the kingdom. You were right! You made it.”

Is it safe to say that every human being throughout life wants to be right.

In the marriage survey we give couples about to be married, there is a question that goes like this, “One of us always insists on being right.”

Agree…. Disagree …. Undecided….  Check one.

Every time I come to that question when I go through that questionnaire with couples, I find myself saying, “I think the suggested answer - "Disagree" - they give to that question is wrong. If you think you’re right, why would you think you're wrong?”  I add, “Maybe they are getting at the word “insist” or “always” I don’t know.

MAYBE THE PHARISEES CAN HELP US WITH ALL THIS

The Pharisees in the gospels are knocked for being so obnoxious about being right and the others are all wrong.

When it comes to religion, righteousness shows up like a barking Rottweiler or pit bull at times.

I suspect that’s what the gospels are trying to tell us.

Jesus is killed because the Pharisees insisted that they were right about God the Father and Jesus was wrong in his comments about the Father.

I would assume we’re being called to be like Jesus - to speak our truth - but without being obnoxious about it.

I would assume that we’re being called to be at peace with one another.

I would assume that we have some humility and hesitation when it comes to being right and labeling someone else as wrong.

CONCLUSION

The man in today’s gospel is wrong about how long he is to live - and finds that out - perhaps too late  - like tonight when he is going to die.

No comments: