Tuesday, September 12, 2017


SEEKING  TO  TOUCH  CHRIST


 INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 23 Tuesday in Ordinary Time  is, “Seeking To Touch Christ.”

That comes from a sentence in today’s gospel, “Everyone in the crowd sought to touch him because power came forth from him and healed them all.” [Cf. Luke 6: 12-19.]

If we read the gospels carefully, we often see and hear about people reaching out trying to touch Jesus or Jesus reaching out and touching people.
Jesus touched eyes, ears and mouths.



Remember the woman who said to herself, “If I just touch the hem of his garment, I’ll be healed.”



And Jesus said, “Who touched me.”  The disciples said at that, “We’re surrounded by this crowd and you ask, ‘Who touched you.’” They didn’t now, but he knew power went out of him.

EACH OTHER

Did you ever notice how much people want to touch others or be touched by them?

Little children cling to their parents.

I’ve walked through nursing homes and there’s an old person sitting there in the corridor - in a wheel chair - and spotting me they reach out their hand to touch me.

Lately, have you seen people doing this new practice of fist bumping? It’s quicker than handshakes. For men who don’t like to handshake, it’s more masculine: a fist!

In 1957 - I think it was 1957 - I was in Washington D.C. and my brother says to me, “Do you want to go over to see the Hoffa hearings?”



We went and stood there in the back. I spotted Bobby Kennedy and Jack Kennedy up front - great tans - and when they came down the aisle after a break was announced  I reached out my hand and touched  the sleeve of Bobby Kennedy’s jacket near his wrist. Power did not go out from them - but something happened.

QUESTION

Did you ever reach out to touch someone who was great: like the pope, or a famous athlete - or a famous movie actor or what have you - or  Bobby Kennedy like I did?

If it felt different, why was that?

After all these years, I still remember the Bobby Kennedy moment. Why was that?

CATHOLIC SACRAMENTS ARE TOUCHY FEELING

Have you noticed that Catholic Church faith practices use touch?

Yesterday afternoon I was on duty and I went up to Heritage Harbor to give some lady named Joan the sacrament of the sick. Her daughter had called - saying her mom was dying. I walked in and shook hands with her husband - great smile. I put my hand on his shoulder in support and said, “I hope you are okay.” He was up there in age - but I sensed he was feeling the possible closeness of his wife’s death. I shook hands with the care giver. This lady named Joan was out of it - unconscious - yet the Church wanted to anoint her on her forehead and hands in the name of Christ. I did.

On Saturday I anointed a baby at a baptism at 11 A.M. and another kid at 6:15 Saturday evening  I anointed both of them in the neck here with sacred oil before the baptism and then on their forehead after the baptism.

Touch. At the two masses I had Sunday - and at the picnic - I got to reach out and touch well over 1000 people.

If you talk to priests, you know how sensitive we are about touch - especially because of the child abuse stories in people’s minds.

At Baptisms  I like it to  ask everyone in the baptismal party to reach out and touch the baby’s forehead and give him or her a blessing - a thumb sign of the cross on their forehead.

Sacred touch - healing touch - a sign of peace is not just for Mass - but the sign of peace moment at Mass has certainly evolved. The percentage of people against that sign - I would think by observing - is under 10%.

CONCLUSION

Life can be touching.

Life can be a hands on experience.

Life gives us the opportunity to have a Sistine Chapel ceiling moment. We all know the painting of Michelangelo on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - Adam and God’s index finger almost touching each other.  In fact, if you want a good night prayer or anytime prayer - close your eyes and reach your index finger to the skies and touch God. Say, pray, “God, just keeping in touch.”












+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Painting on top: 
Ron DiCianni, Divine Healing

No comments: