Friday, September 1, 2017


JESUS  AS  TEACHER 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 21st Friday in Ordinary Time  is, “Jesus as Teacher.”

I like to promote Jesus as Teacher - even if people drop him as “My Lord and My God.”

It often takes a gift of grace to accept Jesus as Lord, Savior, Redeemer, Son of God, Second Person in the Blessed Trinity.

But anyone can study Jesus as a teacher - and find him one of the greats.

So I like to promote Jesus as teacher.

BEST TEACHER

I was with our high school freshman for a Mass today.

It got me thinking about a moment from our first science class in my first year of high school. The teacher said, “If you have  2 good teachers by the time you finish all your education - in becoming a priest - you’re lucky.”  

Was he wondering and was he worried about himself as a teacher?

He was looking us ahead to  4 years of high school, 4 years of college - and 4 years of post graduation work.

I told the freshman kids this morning that I had more than 2 good teachers. I had named for myself these 4 and there are more: Koerber, Rowan, Abata and Meehan. 

So I have that question for you: to talk to each other - and come up with at least  2 good teachers you had in your life. Name the names and share those answers with each other.

WHAT YOU LEARNT

Next for homework, list  2 things you learnt in your life from teachers.

Then share that with each other.

I learnt somewhere along the line that the first step in answering that kind of question is to jot down all the answers that come to mind. Then the second step is to circle two. Then the third step is to share one's answer with another.

So the first step  - in my first question - is to jot down the names of different teachers that come to mind - who were helpful. Then pick the top 2. Then share with each other who they were  - as well as two things you learnt from teachers.

The title of my homily is, “Jesus as Teacher.”

JESUS AS TEACHER

For starters Jesus is often called "Rabbi" or "Teacher" and different folks came up to him with questions - asking for answers. 

Jesus answered questions - but as a good teacher he also asked questions back at people - especially to those who were trying to trap him.

I've noticed that Jesus as teacher liked to tell stories - especially parables.

And two things he did in parables was his use of comparison and contrast.

C and C: comparison and contrast.

Jesus knew people often compare themselves with others.

Jesus also knew that people identify with characters in a story.


So Jesus liked to use 2's.

A man had two sons ... in a field there are sheep and goats ... if you check out fruit, some is good and some is bad... two people went to the temple to pray ... there are two roads you can travel ... there are two doors you can enter ... 

Read the gospels of Luke and Mathew especially for parables. Read the Gospel of John and ask yourself - who am I most like in this story - or am I like the woman caught in adultery or am I like the Blind Man or like the couple who have run out of wine.

MORE SPECIFIC

In today's gospel we have 5 smart bridesmaids and 5 foolish ones. The wise ones, knowing that marriages in that area were often fun filled and you never knew when the bridegroom would show up - sometimes at 2 in the morning - brought extra batteries for their flashlights - but the dummies  didn't. So when he showed, 5 were in the dark and wanted the smarties to help - but hey you never know with these events - so they told the foolish bridesmaids get to the all night food mart and get some batteries. They did - and just after they left - the bridegroom showed up - had the wedding - locked the doors and when the bridesmaids showed up they found themselves locked out. Uh oh! Compare and contrast: which am I, foolish or wise. [Cf. Matthew 25:1-13.]

A man had two sons. He asked one son to go out and work in his vineyard . The first son said, "I'm on my way...." but he never goes. The other son is asked and he says, "I will not..." but he changes his mind. And Jesus says, "Which son did his father's will." [Cf. Matthew 21: 28-32.]

A man had 2 sons. One son says, "Why wait for death? Why not give me my inheritance now? The father divides his property up and gives this son a big cut. That son goes out and wastes it all, hits bottom, comes home with the idea of becoming a hired servant - but fed."  He comes home and is forgiven and welcomed back with great joy and hugs and celebration by his father. His older brother - upon finding out - becomes furious - won't go in the house -even when his father begs him. Compare and contrast: which of the 2 brothers am I lost. [Cf. Luke 15: 11-32.]

Two people went to the temple to pray. One stood up front and said to God. "Hey God, look at me. I don't cheat or rob. I fast and give to the poor. Ain't I great compared to that slob back there?" And the guy in back fell down, wouldn't look up, and said to God, "Have mercy on this big slop?"  Compare and contrast: Which of the 2 am I like? [Read Luke 18:9-14.]

At the end of the world God is going to gather everyone there ever was - into a big field - and they are going to be either sheep or goats. The sheep are those who donated to folks in Houston and Southeast Asia -visited the sick and those in prison and gave and gave. The goats are those who didn't give anything to anyone - and both will say, "Lord, when did we see you without?" And Jesus will send those who gave to heaven and those who were total selfies, to hell. Woo! [Cf. Matthew  25: 31-46.]

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, Jesus as Teacher. 

For your homework jot down the 2 best teachers you've had in life and 2 best learnings.

Hopefully, Jesus makes your list. Then compare and contrast your life with what he taught.

Am I sheep or a goat, smart bridesmaid or dumb, on the narrow road or the highway that leads to self-destruction, good grape or sour grape, good son or daughter or unforgiving and lazy self centered self?

No comments: