Thursday, June 29, 2017



BLOG 
10th 
ANNIVERSARY 


I just realized this is the 10th Anniversary of this Blog: Reflections by the Bay.

For about 3 years I thought it would be a good idea to have some reflections on our parish web-site, but it wasn’t happening.

Then - it was 10 years ago - Norm Constantine suggested I put a homily on our web site or something like that.  Norm then jumped to the idea of my having a blog and he would set it up.

He did.

Thank you, Norm.

It started June 17th, 2007. Is that 10 years?  I’m not good in math.

In this blog you’ll find lots of homilies, lots of short reflections, many of which could be labeled “poems” - as well as some quotes and poems by others.  For 4 years [2010-2013] I did a “Quote for the Day” and for another year a “Poem for the Day.” Other than those variations, most of my stuff is original stuff - so they don’t have to pass an editor - who can accept or reject something I have written.

As to published stuff I have 5 books out there - all out of print - and lots of magazine articles and this and that.  Those are the products of many re-writes.  My blog pieces are mostly in need of rewriting. Sorry.  However, this blog has gotten me in the practice of trying to get at least one thing written per day.

As of today there are 4879 blog entries. 

I get about 100 hits or reads per day - more or less.  So far there have been 226,545 hits. The blog tells me that without my having to count. Thank you to those who tell me at times, “I read your blog.”  

My blog gets readers from all over the world. The blog tells me that as well. 

People can make comments, but most don’t. Comments are made. Some are spam - which I dump [I hate that word] and most I publish. It’s a bit of a bother to put in a comment - but there are some 643 comments as of today. You can find them at the bottom of a piece - so comments, agreements or disagreements are welcome.

I consider myself “liberal” if I was to check off a Liberal or Conservative box.  However,  I try to avoid politics and pushing my agenda when it comes to putting a piece on my blog.

I also avoid “Hot Button” topics - because one can find my blog on the St. Mary’s Annapolis web site - and I have to be aware of my being part of the clergy, the parish, the diocese and the Catholic Church.

Catholic is a big net or basket - with all kinds of different fish. I don’t like sharks and piranhas - and when I write that I recall the words of Scripture, “Is it I Lord?”  [Matthew 26:22] 

However, I do hope when you read a piece on this blog, you’ll say at times, “It is I, Lord. This is me! He’s writing about me.”

O-O-O-O-O-O-O


P.S. # 1 Push my blog - if it helps you. It might help someone else.

P.S. # 2  I'm thinking of putting on my blog on Thursdays the three readings for the following Sunday - along with some questions to trigger reflections.  The hope would be that individuals as well as couples and/or families could read the three readings - give some answers and comments on the questions - and when they go to church on Sunday - they will have done a bit of reflection on the Sunday readings.

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

I like "PS #2."

Give it a try .