Wednesday, May 3, 2017


TWO  NEW  TESTAMENT 
CHARACTERS NAMED PHILIP

INTRODUCTION

The title of my thoughts for today is, “Two New Testament Characters Named Philip.”

Today is the feast day of the first one - Philip the Apostle - and the second is Philip in the Acts of the Apostles - called, “Philip the Evangelist.”

I going to talk about both of them because both of them brought people to Jesus. I’m skipping James - the other person in today’s feast day. There are supposedly 3 James in the Early Church mix of characters.

I would like to stress that that’s our call: to bring people to Jesus.

THE PHILIP IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN

Philip the Apostle gets some unique recognition in the Gospel of John.

In Chapter One of John he’s is called by Jesus - meets him - follows Jesus. His first step is to head for Nathaniel and bring him to Jesus.

The Philip-Nathanael situation goes a bit like Andrew meeting Jesus and then bringing his brother Peter to Jesus.

This Philip is from the same town as Peter and Andrew and their stories begin with the moment they meet Jesus.

It seems in John - when someone meets Jesus they want to tell others about Jesus. They want to introduce other people to Jesus.

Then in Chapter 14 of the Gospel of John, it’s Philip who is approached by some Greeks who want to meet Jesus. Then Philip does the introduction. And notice in this Chapter 14 story about Philip - which is today’s gospel - Andrew’s name shows up in the mix and the  meeting as well.
And notice Philip asks Jesus to show him the Father - which is a major theme in the Gospel of John.

If you want good stuff for prayer, it’s right there - wanting to meet Jesus and wanting to know what the Father is like and who He is.

Ask for that in prayer.

PHILIP IN THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES

And in the Acts of the Apostles we have the so called, “Philip the Evangelist.”

He does the same thing that Philip the Apostle does - this bringing someone to Jesus.



This Philip runs into an Ethiopian - a eunuch and an officer in the court of the Queen of Ethiopia.  He’s the chief treasurer.  He’s in a chariot. He’s on his way home. And he’s reading the prophet Isaiah.

And Philip gets the inspiration to run over to the chariot and ask the occupant if he knows what he’s reading. “Do you understand?”

And the Ethiopian gives the great answer, “How can I understand, unless I have someone to guide me?”

That scene becomes the name of a good book on Bible reading: Unless Some Man Show Me [1962]. It’s by Alexander Jones.

The Ethiopian invites Philip to get into the chariot and Philip introduces this man to Jesus and surprise he baptizes him right then and there when they go by some water - along the road.

I wonder if that quick baptism enters into some Early Church discussions about when to baptize.

I love the line, “And the eunuch never saw him again but went away rejoicing.”

THOUGHTS

We’re called to introduce people to Jesus.

Think about the people who got you to visit Jesus in the Eucharistic Adoration Chapel or any church - or the people who ran Bible study programs - say on Isaiah - and introduced you to Jesus.

I think of all the places I preached  - where I preached to a lot of people I never saw again.  I also think of all the people who gave me Jesus.

CLOSING EXAMPLE

This is getting too long, so let me close with a quick example.

I was about to take a 3 hour car ride, so I looked for something for the car tape system. This was before CD’s.

I grabbed a cassette I had not listened to in 25 years.  Surprise. As I’m listening to it - I hear this great example - that I used in a sermon - but I thought it was my idea - that I was original.

Surprise I stole it without knowing it.

I just noticed in yesterday’s news that Marine La Pen  in France is being accused of plagiarizing parts of a speech by Francois Fillon.


Having discovered I borrowed something from someone else, without realizing it, I have sympathy.  Let’s plagiarize the Word of God, the word made flesh, Jesus Christ. Then let us bring Jesus to others. Amen. 

No comments: