Thursday, February 16, 2017

February 16, 2017

SPORTS

Is sports me?

Am I reruns of a home run or a great
catch or a race I didn’t think I could win?

Am I a couch potato who sat and watched
too many games - when I could have been
out there walking, running or riding a bike?

Am I most me when I’m wearing a jersey
or a t-shirt or a cap advertising my team -
trying to ride their glory and I want a title?

When I’m running the human race, do I have
St. Paul’s vision of life: Christ as my goal? [1]
Do I follow St. Irenaeus’ words, “The glory of
God is when we are fully alive and human life
is the vision of God?” [2]

Is sports me?


© Andy Costello, Reflections  2017

[1] St. Paul, 2:Timothy 4: 7-8


[2]  St. Irenaeus,  "The glory of God is man fully alive, and the life of man is the vision of God….” AH IV, 20, 7.

No comments: