Monday, February 13, 2017

February 13, 2017

HISTORY

Is history me?

Would I be any different if I was born
anywhere or any time else? Obviously.

I am my stories and my parents -
and the main actors on my stage.

And a lot more and a lot more
and a lot more to come, please God.

Shakespeare helps me hear my story.
To be or not to be Hamlet or the fool.

At times I am “A Midsummer Night’s
Dream,” and “I am slow of study.” [1]

“The web of our life is of a mingled
yarn, good and ill together.” [2]

I don’t want, please God, to end up, “A
poor infirm, weak, and despised old man.” [3]

Is history me?

© Andy Costello, Reflections  2017



[1] Shakespeare, A Midsummer’s Night Dream, Act I, Scene ii, line 70.

[2] Shakespeare, All’s Well That Ends Well, IV, Scene iii, line 83

[3] Shakespeare, King Lear, Act 3, Scene ii, line 20.



No comments: