Thursday, August 18, 2016

DOES  ANYONE  HAVE 
AN  EXTRA  JACKET?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my thoughts for this Thursday in the 20th Week in Ordinary time is, “Does Anyone Have an Extra Jacket?”

How many times have we found ourselves in an “Uh oh!” situation when it comes to having the right clothes for the occasion?



If you saw and loved the movie, As Good as It Gets, you’ll remember the scene in the restaurant - where Melvin Udall [Jack Nicholson] needs a jacket.  You’ll also remember his comments about Carol Connelly’s [Helen Hunt’s dress] at that same restaurant.

"Does anyone have a jacket I can borrow?"

TODAY’S GOSPEL

That’s the question that hits me as I read today’s gospel parable. It’s Jesus’ story about the guy who comes to the wedding banquet - without a wedding garment.

And the king spots him and asks, “My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?”

Stuck, shamed, silent, the king then says, “Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.”

The guy doesn’t even get a chance to scream, “Wait a minute! You were stuck with an empty banquet hall - because nobody showed up - so you rounded up us nobodies and now you want to toss me out into the dark? No wonder, nobody showed up at your lousy party in the first place.”

The story is in Matthew 22: 1-14.  It seems Matthew likes to throw us a curve ball - making things tougher than it seems Jesus wants. When Luke tells this story from Jesus [14: 15-24], there is no mention of having to have a wedding outfit on. The great unwashed - found on streets and in alleys - the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame - all are invited into the banquet - no questions asked.  Welcome.

I’m heading into heaven with Luke’s version of the story - in ball point pen on my hands - that is, if they don’t cremate me. Smile.

Like the Prodigal Son in the next chapter of Luke, if God the Father wants me to be different than I am - a pig smelly sinner - if he wants me to arrive in heaven with fancy clothes on - let him provide the soap and water, the ring, the sandals and the finest robe.

YEAH, WHAT IS GOD LIKE?

Yes, what is God like?

I don’t think that’s the theme in today’s gospel - but that’s the thought that hits me.

Being a slob  - I’ve seen people give me the sneer - with what I’m wearing. 

I never met either of them - but I think I’d be more comfortable at a cookout wearing shorts and a T-shirt - with Pope Francis than with Pope Benedict.

So that’s what I’m saying here, I’m more comfortable with Luke’s Jesus than Matthew’s Jesus.

I just hope when I die, I’ll meet Andrew’s Jesus.

CONCLUSION

How about you?

And if you asked me, “Does Anyone Have an Extra Jacket?” I’d say, “Good news! You don’t need one.”


No comments: