Monday, August 29, 2016



COURAGE  OR  WEAKNESS

                   
[Today we commemorate the passion or suffering or the Beheading of John the Baptist. Today’s gospel story from Mark 6: 17-29 - triggers thoughts about different characters - some courageous - some weak. Hence this reflection on courage vs. weakness.]


It takes courage to say, “You’re right. I’m wrong.”

It takes courage to say, “Help!”

It takes courage to say, “I had too much to drink.”

It takes courage to say, “I made a mistake.”

It takes courage to say, “I promised too much and I can’t deliver.”

It takes courage to say, “I sinned.”

It takes courage to say, “I’m trapped.”

It takes courage to say, “Oops. Dumb me.”

It takes courage to say, “Lust took over.”

It takes courage to say, “Please forgive me.”

It takes weakness to hold onto a grudge!

It takes weakness to remain silent, instead of screaming, “Stop.”

It takes weakness to say, “Get rid of him. Cut off his head.”

It takes weakness to say, “I’m going to get you for saying that.”

It takes weakness to say, “More wine.”

It takes weakness to say, “I’m only human – so I have to do this - otherwise I’m going to look like a fool.” 


OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Note: Painting on topBenozzo Gozzoli (1461-1462)

No comments: