Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 28, 2016



TOLLE  LEGE, TOLLE  LEGE 

You mean to tell me, you haven’t
read Augustine’s Confessions yet?
“Tolle lege, tolle lege….” those
were the sing song words he heard
in the garden that day. “Take! Read!”

So he picked up and read, Paul’s
Letter to the Romans 13:13-14:
“Let us conduct ourselves properly,
as people who live in the light of day -
no orgies or drunkenness,
no immorality or indecency,
no fighting or jealousy.
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ
and make no provision to satisfy
the desires of the flesh.”

“Tolle lege” Augustine’s Confessions
and like everyone who reads them,
you too will say, “Too late I loved you,
O Beauty ever ancient and ever new.
Too late I loved you! And, behold,
you were within me, and I out of
myself and there I searched for you.”


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2016

No comments: